Lakeland Electric Lineman First Class in Lakeland, Florida
This is skilled journey level work in the construction, maintenance, and repair of electrical transmission and distribution systems. Work is frequently performed in close proximity to high-tension wires and under unfavorable weather conditions, requiring skill and safe work practices and procedures. Work also involves the use of hooks when climbing poles and working in aerial buckets at high altitudes. Work is normally performed under the supervision of a foreman; however, employees may be assigned to work independently. Work is subject to inspection for conformance by a supervisor.
Example of Duties:
- Constructs, maintains and repairs electrical transmission and distribution systems.
- Inspects and determines problems in transformers and electrical apparatus, replacing fuses and other defective parts.
- Sets poles and anchors, installs and maintains fiber optic cable
- Installs transformers, cutouts, lightning arresters, crossarms, insulators, switches, and conductors overhead or underground.
- Adjusts tension on primary or secondary conductors.
- Performs maintenance work on telephone or cable TV lines.
- Locates trouble in primary and secondary lines, replacing fuses and clearing short circuits.
- Installs transformer banks and Three-phase padmount transformers.
- Climbs poles, installs and removes cross arms, street lights, various equipment and materials
- Troubleshoots transmission and distribution system problems.
- Connects, disconnects, and replaces service loops.
- Cleans and services tools, equipment, and vehicles.
- Serves as Line Crew Foreman when assigned.
Performs related work as required. Qualifications:
High school diploma from an accredited school or its' equivalent, supplemented by training in electrical and mechanical systems.
- Three (3) years of experience as a Lineman/Journeyman
- Three (3) years of experience in the construction, maintenance, and repair of electrical overhead and underground transmission and distribution systems.
- Completion of a Lineman Apprentice Training Program.
- Must possess a valid Class "A" Commercial driver's license with air brake endorsements.
Required Documents: GED, High School Diploma, College Diploma or Unofficial Transcripts
- Must maintain a valid telephone number.
- Will required to work overtime, or alternate hours, as necessary for the efficient operation of the department.
Position may be designated as Mission Critical by Department Director. Supplemental Information:
Extensive knowledge of approved practices, procedures, tools, and materials used in electrical line construction and maintenance work.
- Extensive knowledge of the principles of electrical theory as applied to electrical circuits and wiring systems and the ability to apply this knowledge as related to electrical line work.
- Knowledge of first aid, safety practices, procedures and occupational hazards of the trade.
- Skill in the use of tools, equipment, and vehicles common in the trade.
- Ability to understand and follow complex oral or written instruction.
- Ability to work in confined space on underground electrical system or equipment that may or may not be energized.
- Ability to perform heavy manual tasks under varying unfavorable weather conditions.
- Ability and willingness to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, other city employees and the general public.
- Requires heavy manual work that involves walking or standing most of the time, exerting up to 100 pounds of force on a recurring basis.
- The job risks exposure to electrical shock, adverse weather conditions, extreme hot/cold temperatures, confined areas, dust, pollen, traffic, toxic/noxious fumes, extreme noise levels, heights, and bright/dim light.
- The job requires normal visual acuity, and field of vision, hearing, speaking, color perception, sense of smell, depth perception, and texture perception.
All City of Lakeland positions are subject to testing (e.g. written, oral, performance, computerized, interview, and/or any combination). Candidates selected for testing will be notified via email or telephone. Please check your e-mail and telephone messages regularly, including "junk" folders. Test times and location to be announced.
THE CITY OF LAKELAND IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/EQUAL ACCESS EMPLOYER AND A DRUG FREE WORKPLACE
Job Title: Lineman First Class
Salary: $35.79 - $38.43 Hourly $2,863.18 - $3,074.65 Biweekly $6,203.56 - $6,661.73 Monthly $74,442.78 - $79,940.81 Annually
Job Type: Full Time Regular UWUA
Location: City of Lakeland, Employment Services, 500 N. Lake Parker Avenue, Lakeland, Florida
Department: ED-Operations-OH Crews_2 2017330000