Lakeland Electric Irrigation System Technician - Cleveland Heights Golf Course in Lakeland, Florida
Performs irrigation systems maintenance at city properties and grounds to include golf course, athletic fields and parks. Example of Duties:
- Operates and maintains the golf course and other irrigation systems at baseball fields, soccer fields, tennis courts and other turf areas.
- Inspects golf course daily and reports any irregularities in course turf quality to the appropriate management staff and adjusts irrigation programs as needed to keep turf watered properly based on seasonal weather conditions.
- Waters greens, tees, fairways and rough. Operates irrigation heads in dry areas needing additional water. Waters hot spots, sod and new plant material by hand with a hose if needed. Assists with greens syringing as needed.
- Checks and repairs automatic and mechanical sprinkler system clocks, valves and sprinkler heads.
- Operates lawn maintenance equipment in the mowing, edging, weeding, trimming and pruning of grounds, shrub, trees and plant beds.
- Involves with all phases of landscape installation and maintenance.
Works from oral and written instructions. ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
Assists with golf course maintenance duties as assigned.
Performs other related work as required. Qualifications:
High school diploma from an accredited school or its equivalent.
One (1) year of experience in irrigation systems and grounds maintenance work. Required Documents: GED, High School Diploma, College Diploma or Unofficial Transcripts SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
Must possess and maintain a valid state of Florida Class "B" commercial driver's license with appropriate endorsements as are required by the employing department or obtain one within six (6) months after appointment to the position.
- May be required to possess a state of Florida Restricted Pesticide license.
- May be required to pass and maintain qualification for:
- Respiratory Protection Physical
- Pulmonary Function
- Qualitative and Quantitative Fit Test(s)
- May be required to work overtime, or alternate hours, as necessary for the efficient operation of the department.
Position may be designated as Mission Critical by Department Director. Supplemental Information:
Knowledge of the tools and standard practices of labor operations.
- Ability to work from oral and written instructions.
- Ability to lay out and supervise the work of subordinate, unskilled or semi-skilled employees performing grounds construction and maintenance tasks.
- Ability to keep records.
- Ability to understand and apply safe practices in the use of hand tools and power tools.
- Ability to detect problems related to plants.
- Ability to make minor repairs to broken equipment.
- Ability to perform a variety of manual tasks.
- Ability to perform heavy manual labor for prolonged periods, often under adverse weather conditions.
- Ability to use motorized equipment.
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, other city employees and the general public. WORKING ENVIRONMENT/CONDITIONS:
Requires light and heavy manual labor work that involves walking or standing most of the time, exerting up to 100 pounds of force on a recurring basis, and some driving of tractor mowers.
- The job requires exposure to hot/cold temperatures, adverse weather, toxic fumes, noxious odors and wet, humid conditions.
- The job requires normal visual acuity, and field of vision, hearing, speaking, color perception, sense of taste, sense of smell, depth perception, and texture perception.
All City of Lakeland positions are subject to testing (e.g. written, oral, performance, computerized, interview, and/or any combination). Candidates selected for testing will be notified via email or telephone. Please check your e-mail and telephone messages regularly, including "junk" folders. Test times and locations to be announced.
THE CITY OF LAKELAND IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/EQUAL ACCESS EMPLOYER AND A DRUG FREE WORKPLACE
Job Title: Irrigation System Technician - Cleveland Heights Golf Course
Closing Date/Time: Continuous
Salary: $15.85 - $24.60 Hourly $1,268.39 - $1,967.69 Biweekly $2,748.18 - $4,263.33 Monthly $32,978.15 - $51,159.95 Annually
Job Type: Full Time Regular
Location: City of Lakeland, Employment Services, 500 N. Lake Parker Avenue, Lakeland, Florida
Department: P & R 09