Lakeland Electric Internal Audit Manager in Lakeland, Florida
This is highly responsible work involving directing and coordinating the systematic independent internal audit functions of the City and its related activities while displaying a commitment to the welfare and success of the department, organization, and City as a whole. An employee in this classification carries out a program of internal reviews including financial, operational, compliance and investigative audits to successfully execute strategic business plans and internal auditing objectives. All internal audit work is reviewed periodically by an internal audit steering committee. Performance is evaluated by the Assistant City Manager through reports, conferences and results obtained. Example of Duties:
- Establishes and updates an annual internal audit plan including objectives and goals and schedules for completion.
- Reviews and approves all internal audit reports including supporting audit working papers and issues reports.
- Maintains internal audit report control showing disposition of findings and action on recommendations.
- Establishes complete files of all audit reports, working papers and other materials.
- Supervises the internal audit staff and engages them to exemplify a commitment to excellence.
- Ensures adherence to Generally Accepted Auditing Standards, Governmental Auditing Standards and Code of Professional Ethics (AICPA, GASB and the Institute of Internal Auditors).
- Provides advice and assistance on policies, procedures, internal controls, operating practices, and financial responsibilities and employs creative problem solving methods to identify and propose alternative solutions as necessary.
- Serves on committees and task forces and participates in other related endeavors as required.
- Assists the external auditors during the annual audit of financial statements.
Assists the external auditors during the bi-annual State of Florida Sales and Use Tax audits. ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
Performs related work as required. Qualifications:
Graduation from an accredited four (4) year college or university with a degree in accounting, finance, or business administration.
- Five (5) years of professional auditing, accounting, or related experience; 2 years of the required experience must be auditing experience in a governmental environment.
- Three (3) years in a supervisory capacity while in the accounting or auditing field.
- Possession of a valid and current Certified Public Accountant designation is required.
- Necessary CPE under Government Auditing Standards issued by the Comptroller General of the United States of America requirements.
Required Documents: College Diploma or Unofficial Transcript and Resume
- Must possess and maintain a valid state of Florida driver's license.
- Must maintain a valid telephone number.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a Florida Certified Public Accountant license within 3 years of employment.
- May be required to work overtime, or alternate hours, as necessary for the efficient operation of the department.
Position is designated as Mission Critical by the City Manager's Office. Supplemental Information:
Thorough knowledge of auditing methodology, procedures and techniques.
- Thorough knowledge of accounting and auditing.
- Knowledge of advanced management principles and administrative systems.
- Knowledge of fundamental EDP concepts.
- Proficient in the use of word processing (Word) and spreadsheet (Excel) software applications
- Ability to learn and use other operating software applications (Oracle, PeopleSoft, etc.)
- Ability to employ professional standards in auditing programs, activities and functions.
- Ability to plan, direct and supervise the work of subordinate personnel to achieve measurable results through effective use of performance management, goals, and coaching.
- Ability to build effective partnerships to sustain long-term relationships with co-workers, other city employees, and the general public.
- Ability to rapidly acquire working knowledge of the organization and environment and a commitment to continuous improvement.
- Ability to communicate strategically and timely and express ideas clearly, both verbally and in writing, on all relevant business and people issues as they impact municipal operations.
Ability to maintain professionalism and objectivity in the performance of audit activities. WORKING ENVIRONMENT/CONDITIONS:
Requires sedentary work that involves walking or standing some of the time, exerting up to 10 pounds of force on a recurring basis, and routine keyboard operations.
- The job risks exposure to bright/dim light, traffic, dusts and pollen.
- The job requires normal visual acuity, and field of vision, hearing, speaking, color perception, sense of smell, depth perception, and texture perception.
*All City of Lakeland positions are subject to testing (e.g. written, oral, performance, computerized, interview, and/or any combination). Candidates selected for testing will be notified via email or telephone. Please check your e-mail and telephone messages regularly, including "junk" folders. Test times and locations to be announced. *
THE CITY OF LAKELAND IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/EQUAL ACCESS EMPLOYER AND A DRUG FREE WORKPLACE
Job Title: Internal Audit Manager
Closing Date/Time: Continuous
Salary: $71,209.86 - $132,262.42 Annually
Job Type: Full Time Regular
Location: City of Lakeland, Employment Services, 500 N. Lake Parker Avenue, Lakeland, Florida
Department: Internal Auditor 0200000000