Lakeland Electric Fiber Optics Supervisor in Lakeland, Florida
This supervisory position is responsible for planning, organizing, coordinating, and supervising the design and implementation of the City of Lakeland’s fiber optic cable network. Work normally requires the supervision of and cooperation with other departments and technical subordinates. Assignments are received in broad outline and require independently organizing work, formulating technical policies within assigned specialty and monitoring work to ensure efficient and effective operation of the group. Employee in this position is responsible for preparing the budget for their section and in setting priorities in accordance with the City of Lakeland’s strategic plan. Work is evaluated by the Telecommunications Manager for overall effectiveness and attainment of objectives within the assigned function.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND ADDITIONAL FUNCTIONS:
- Serves as Fiber Optics section supervisor, directing and controlling programs and projects, and assigning work activities to the appropriate staff.
- Ensures personnel receive required training, both technical and safety for the work place.
- Coordinates assigned functions and activities for this section by maintaining proper communications with other departments, divisions, work groups and outside agencies.
- Produces preliminary designs and costs from network plans for comparison and analysis to provide new service and expansion, to improve service quality, reliability and reduce network costs.
- Provides technical guidance for work assigned and delegates implementation responsibility to work group.
- Evaluates and certifies carriers, equipment vendors, contractors and new technologies as they pertain to fiber optics.
- Acts as a representative/liaison with other utilities and industry organizations involved in projects and studies.
- Develops and maintains standards and procedures to be used by the section.
- Directs work planning and scheduling, including manpower forecasting and budgeting requirements.
- Insures that all work is completed in compliance with industry regulations including safety.
- Completes special projects and other duties as may be assigned by the Telecommunications Manager.
- May be required to work overtime or alternate hours as necessary for the efficient operation of the department.
- Position is designated Mission Critical.
- Performs related work as required.
Performs supervisory responsibilities to include selecting, developing/training, assigning and monitoring work, performance management (establishing clear expectations, goals, and performance standards; coaching: providing timely feedback: conducting performance reviews, addressing performance/safety issues), recognizing and rewarding performance and issue resolution within the work group, in accordance with policies and laws. QUALIFICATIONS (EDUCATION, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE) AND SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
Associate degree or sixty (60) college credits from an accredited college or university with major course work in Microstation, AutoCad or related field.
- Eight (8) years of experience in Outside Plant Telecommunications, including thorough knowledge and experience with the following software: Microsoft Office, Microstation or AutoCAD, Visio, Fiber database software.
- One (1) year of experience in a supervisory or administrative capacity.
- Must maintain City driving privileges/valid Florida driver’s license.
Must maintain a valid contact phone number. KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
Strong working knowledge of telecommunications industry and network cost principles pertaining to outside plant installation, construction, splicing, and testing methods.
- In depth knowledge of voice and data communications.
- Ability to solve complex problems through analysis.
- Possess exceptional interpersonal abilities, oral and written communications skills.
- Ability to meet deadlines and deal effectively with the stress of a rapidly changing environment.
- Have professional understanding of PC to achieve efficient, excellent output using Windows, Office, CAD and fiber database software.
- Experience in planning, designing, and implementing outside plant fiber optic networks as it pertains to cable installation and splicing.
- Extensive knowledge of project expenditures and budgetary cost controls.
- Ability to establish and maintain working relationships with supervisor, co-workers, subordinates, consultants, other utilities, other City employees and the general public.
- Ability to understand, follow, and/or transmit complex oral and written instructions.
- Ability to be a self-starter, self-motivated, detail oriented, team player and be able to carry out assignments independently.
- Ability to direct others in the management of multiple projects simultaneously and in a proficient manner, while maintaining schedule flexibility as needed.
- Ability/willingness to perform work to support the vision, mission, values and goals of the department.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Requires sedentary and active work that involves walking or standing some of the time, exerting up to 30 pounds of force on a recurring basis, routine keyboard operations, operation of City general purpose vehicles (automobile or pick-up truck); some job duties may be performed in an office environment while other duties may require field work at various outdoor job sites.
- The job risks exposure on rare occasions to electrical, mechanical or chemical hazardous conditions; occasional exposure to extreme noise levels, dusts, pollen, bright/dim lights, extreme heat/cold, wet/humid conditions, fumes, noxious odors and heights.
- The job requires normal visual acuity, field of vision, hearing, speaking, color perception, depth perception, texture perception and sense of smell.
All City of Lakeland positions are subject to testing (e.g. written, oral, performance, computerized, interview and/or any combination). Candidates selected for testing will be notified via email or telephone. Please check your email and telephone messages regularly, including "junk" folders. Test times and locations to be announced.
The City of Lakeland is a drug free workplace. This position is considered a mandatory testing position, which is subject to pre-employment and random drug testing. All City of Lakeland positions are subject to reasonable suspicion drug testing. As a condition of employment you will be required to pass the pre-employment drug test in accordance with Florida Statute 440.102.
THE CITY OF LAKELAND IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/EQUAL ACCESS EMPLOYER AND A DRUG FREE WORKPLACE
Job Title: Fiber Optics Supervisor
Closing Date/Time: Continuous
Salary: $33.30 - $51.66 Hourly $2,664.18 - $4,133.02 Biweekly $5,772.40 - $8,954.88 Monthly $69,268.76 - $107,458.59 Annually
Job Type: Full Time Regular
Location: City of Lakeland, Employment Services, 500 N. Lake Parker Avenue, Lakeland, Florida
Department: IT Telecommunications & Support 1707100000