NextEra Energy Environmental Specialist II in Juno Beach, Florida
Environmental Specialist II
Date: Nov 18, 2021
Location(s): Juno Beach, FL, US, 33408
Company: NextEra Energy
Requisition ID: 58046
Our reliability is one of the best in the nation, and we’re working to make it even better. We live here too. That’s why we’re committed to making Florida a better place. Join our team today
Position Specific Description
Florida Power & Light Company is committed to being an industry leader in environmental protection and stewardship, including wildlife and habitat protection. We have operations across Florida, so we're keenly aware of the potential impacts that existing and future operations may have on wildlife and their habitat. Therefore, we have environmental policies and programs in place at both the corporate and local levels to avoid and minimize these impacts and to address any remaining impacts through appropriate mitigation measures.As a member of the FPL wildlife team, you will face different challenges every day, some of which will be extraordinarily complex. We ask our wildlife experts to work alongside multiple disciplines including engineers, developers, operators, permitting specialists, and policy professionals.You will feel a sense of pride in knowing that you are helping a leading clean energy company provide innovative solutions to wildlife challenges, big and small, and making a difference!
Ideal candidate will have:
• Sound statistical acumen, interpretation, and analytical ability
• Highly proficient in ArcGIS for use in wildlife permit applications
• Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission Authorized Gopher Tortoise Agent with 5+ years of experience conducting 15% and 100% gopher tortoise surveys and gopher tortoise relocations
• Experience with gopher tortoise biology, including habitat use
• Gopher tortoise research experience – surveys, tagging, monitoring
• Experience with other wildlife surveys (caracara, kestrel, burrowing owl, sandhill crane, scrub jay, sand skink, FL bonneted bat, etc.)
• Detailed understanding of the FWC Imperiled Species Management Plan, USFWS Endangered Species Act and the Migratory Bird Treaty Act
• Experience with imperiled species permitting guidelines and subsequent permitting, including Incidental Take Permits and Habitat Conservation Plans for federally threatened and endangered species
• Ability to maintain professional relationships with diverse groups including operations staff, developers, other industry representatives, NGO stakeholders, agency personnel and consultants
• Experience reviewing consultant work related to wildlife issues
• Familiar with various Florida habitat types and vegetation
• Provides strategic advice regarding risk management of protected species and their habitat (avoidance, minimization and mitigation)
This is a 2 year project bound opportunity with potential to extend longer.
Employees in this position provide environmental compliance and permitting technical support for the company.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
Provides environmental permitting and compliance technical support to ensure compliance with all laws and regulations
Identifies and mitigates environmental risks
Supports root cause analysis of environmental events
Coordinates environmental due diligence
Coordinates oversight of environmental compliance
Supports environmental permitting
Provides project management support
Communicates effectively about environmental permitting and issues
Provides recommended solutions to environmental challenges to minimize environmental impact
Develops environmental processes, procedures and environmental awareness training
Performs other job-related duties as assigned
Experience: 2+ years
- Master’s Degree
Employee Group: Exempt
Employee Type: Projectbound FT
Job Category: Environmental/Chemistry/Rad Protection
Organization: Florida Power & Light Company
Relocation Provided: No
Where permitted by applicable law, NextEra Energy requires all employees and new hires to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 or be willing to receive the COVID-19 vaccination on or before the first day of employment.
NextEra Energy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, age, national origin, religion, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetics, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law. We are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace.
NextEra Energy provides reasonable accommodation in its application and selection process for qualified individuals, including accommodations related to compliance with conditional job offer requirements, consistent with federal, state, and local laws. Supporting medical or religious documentation will be required where applicable and permitted by applicable law. To request a reasonable accommodation, please send an e-mail to, providing your name, telephone number and the best time for us to reach you. Alternatively, you may call 1-844-694-4748. Please do not use this line to inquire about your application status.
NextEra Energy will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.
NextEra Energy does not accept any unsolicited resumes or referrals from any third-party recruiting firms or agencies . Please see ourfor more information.
- NextEra Energy Jobs