JEA Apprentice N & C Splicing Technician in Jacksonville, Florida
Under immediate supervision, assists in the construction, operation, maintenance, restoration, and testing of underground transmission and distribution facilities to ensure uninterrupted, dependable service is provided to customers. Job requires basic knowledge of materials, tools and equipment used in electrical construction and maintenance of underground transmission and distribution facilities, sufficient to perform a range of routine skilled craft tasks. Specific detailed instructions are provided requiring some judgment in rearranging work sequences in specific cases. Identifies and suggests solutions to routine or recurring problems. Work is reviewed in progress and upon completion for accuracy and completeness in following instructions. Regular contact with external customers is required to obtain, clarify or provide facts or information or solve problems.
Participates in an apprenticeship training program in which successful completion of an approved schedule of work experience and training will be required in order to maintain employment. Employees in this classification will enter into a written agreement with JEA and the State ofFlorida, Department of Labor and Employment Security, Bureau of Apprenticeship.
- Participates in classroom and on-the-job training to develop required skills.
- Responds to customer requests and trouble calls.
- Splices and terminates cables of various types and voltages used in primary switches, padmount switchgear, substations, overhead poles, and network transformers.
- Performs lay out and spacing tasks for cables and equipment in manholes and transformer vaults.
- Inspects underground cable systems and prepares written reports.
- Restores service to faulted underground distribution facilities.
- Inspects and repairs transformers, primary switches and protector breakers.
- Operates test equipment to calibrate control relays in network protectors.
- Inspects and cleans transformer vaults and related equipment.
- Performs extensive repairs or replaces network transformers and/or switches.
- Installs recording volt meters for load readings and voltage.
- Participates in system restoration, as required.
- Maintains tools and equipment in safe and proper working condition.
- Complies with safety rules and regulations and employs safe work practices.
- Operates and maintains various construction equipment and vehicles, including vehicle combinations with gross vehicle weight ratings of 26,000 pounds or more such as bucket, derrick, or cargo trucks with cable or cargo trailers and semi-tractors with crane or lowboy trailers.
- Performs other job-related work as assigned.
For additional infomration, please visit the following links:
Physical Prep Guide
Physical Agilities Demonstration Videos
High School diploma or equivalent and:
To be considered for employment, the applicant will be required to:
Pass a Physical Abilities Test that is representative of the physical demands of the job.
A valid Driver's License is required prior to employment and must be maintained during employment in this classification; additionally a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) of a certain level and/or with certain endorsements may be required, as will be described in this job specification if applicable.
A valid Class B Commercial Driver's License (CDL) is required within sixty (60) days of employment and must be maintained during employment in this classification.
A valid Class A Commercial Driver's License (CDL) is required within one (1) year of employment and must be maintained during employment in this classification.
Note: Successful completion of an approved schedule of work experience and training will be required during the entire apprenticeship period in order to maintain employment. Employees in this classification will enter into a written agreement with JEA and the State of Florida, Department of Labor and Employment Security, Bureau of Apprenticeship.
This position requires that employees be in compliance with JEA procedure ES A0200 A0101 RS 628 Screening Personnel Risk Assessments (pre-hire for FACTA designations; pre-hire and recurring for CIP designations).
Job: *Skilled Craft
Title: Apprentice N & C Splicing Technician
Requisition ID: 11591
Other Locations: US-FL-Jacksonville