JEA Apprentice Linemaintainer in Jacksonville, Florida
Under immediate supervision, assists in the construction, maintenance, restoration, and testing of overhead/underground distribution and transmission facilities, including fiber optic cable systems, to ensure uninterrupted, dependable service is provided to customers. Job requires basic knowledge of the standard procedures, methods and techniques for installing and maintaining cables, transformers, poles and related equipment, sufficient to perform a limited range of routine tasks. Specific, detailed instructions are provided, requiring some judgment in rearranging work sequences in specific cases. Solves problems by choosing among a range of defined alternatives. Work is reviewed in progress and upon completion for accuracy and completeness in following instructions. Regular contact with others within the work unit is required to obtain, clarify or provide facts or information. May be required to work a variety of schedules and be on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to maintain required service levels.
Participates in an apprenticeship training program in which successful completion of an approved schedule of work experience and training will be required in order to maintain employment. Employees in this classification will enter into a written agreement with JEA and the State ofFlorida, Department of Labor and Employment Security, Bureau of Apprenticeship.
- Participates in classroom and on-the-job training to develop required skills.
- Assists in the construction, installation, maintenance, testing, inspection, operations, repair and restoration of fiber optic cable system and overhead/underground electrical facilities.
- Performs pole handling, hauling, climbing, setting and framing tasks.
- Assists in installing and connecting overhead wire and underground conduit and cable, overhead/underground transformers, street lighting and primary and secondary phasing.
- Performs wire and cable pulling, splicing and terminating.
- Assists in installing and maintaining underground manhole ductbanks and transformer vaults.
- Assists in performing overhead and underground maintenance inspection and repair.
- Installs conduit under driveways and roads.
- Performs tree trimming and landscaping to restore customer property.
- Assists in system restoration, system grounding and underground cable locates.
- Operates and maintains construction equipment, including vehicle combinations with gross vehicle weight ratings of 26,000 pounds or more such as cargo, bucket, digger, derrick or semi-tractor trucks with crane or lowboy, flatbed, cable, cargo or pole trailers.
- Operates truck tankers with a capacity of over 1,000 gallons of liquids.
- Assists in operating hazardous waste handling facility.
- Assists in receiving storage, sampling, loss testing, repairing, painting and salvaging of distribution transformers.
- Assists in testing and repairing voltage regulators, sectionalizers and reclosers, and hydraulic, pneumatic, electrical and gasoline powered tools.
- Assists in performing dielectric safety testing and repair of switch sticks, shotguns and bucket trucks.
- Cleans and tests personal protective rubber goods.
- Performs other job-related work as assigned.
For additional information, please visit the following links:
Physical prep Guide
Physical Agilities Demonstration Videos
A high school diploma or equivalent.
To be considered for employment, the applicant will be required to:
Pass a Physical Abilities Test that is representative of the physical demands of the job.
Pass a qualitative respirator fit test with ability to wear the respirator without respiratory distress.
A valid driver’s license is required prior to employment and must be maintained during employment in this classification; additionally a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) of a certain level and/or with certain endorsements may be required, as will be described in this job specification if applicable.
A valid Class B Commercial Driver's License with N or equivalent endorsement is required to be obtained within sixty (60) days of employment.
A valid Class A Commercial Driver's License with N or equivalent endorsement is required to be obtained within one (1) year of employment and must be maintained during employment in this classification.
Note: Successful completion of an approved schedule of work experience and training will be required during the entire apprenticeship period in order to maintain employment. Employees in this classification will enter into a written agreement with JEA and the State of Florida, Department of Labor and Employment Security, Bureau of Apprenticeship.
Job: *Skilled Craft
Title: Apprentice Linemaintainer
Requisition ID: 11592
Other Locations: US-FL-Jacksonville