Gainesville Regional Utilities Analyst Senior in Gainesville, Florida
- Job Ad
The Budget & Finance team at City of Gainesville is currently seeking a qualified Analyst, Sr. We are looking for an innovative self-driven individual who desires to be challenged and will deliver excellent customer service.
A typical work day may include working with departments to provide data and analysis related to annual budget development and monthly monitoring; identifying trends that produce efficiencies; collaborating with management to review results; benchmarking best practices to gauge performance; and presenting data.
- Bachelor's degree in Business, Marketing, Public Administration, Finance, Accounting or a related field, as required by the hiring department, and three (3) years of progressively responsible experience in financial or operational analysis, fuels or marketing analysis;
- Seven (7) years of progressively responsible related analytical experience (with no degree),
- An equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
****May under-fill as Analyst***
To be considered for the Analyst, you must possess a Bachelor's degree in Business or Public Administration, Finance, or a related field, and two (2) years of experience in financial, operational, fuels or marketing analysis:
possess a high school diploma and six (6) years of related analytical experience;
possess an equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Valid Florida Driver License required.
- May fill multiple positions
- May establish an eligibility list
- May require additional assessments
- Job Description
- SUMMARYProfessional mid-level work performing analytical activities of significant complexity that require independent and critical thought and problem definition and solution analysis and may require the review of work or direction of lower level Analysts.Positions allocated to this class report to a designated supervisor and work under general supervision. Work in this class is distinguished from other classes by the technical and independent nature of the research and analysis required.EXAMPLES OF WORK**** This section of the job description is not intended to be a comprehensive list of duties and responsibilities of the position. The omission of a specific job function does not absolve an employee from being required to perform additional tasks incidental to or inherent in the job. Performance of lower level duties may be required.ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONSDepending on area of assignment:Prepares varied financial, operating or marketing reports, including study plans, quarterly summaries, forecasts, system and organizational analyses, and work flowcharts.Acquires and disseminates information concerning work methods and procedures, controls, and similar management functions. Develops alternatives and makes specific recommendations to superiors and assists in implementing the recommendations.Develops and maintains computer-based data files and records related to customers, costs and cost support schedules.Determines short-term fuel requirements for utility facilities and exchange of wholesale transactions to third parties.Assists in the preparation and monitoring of the departmental budget. Evaluates capital expenditure requests and capital needs of the department.Assists in the performance of technical and analytical evaluations on purchases, exchanges, sales, transportation, usage and inventories of utility fuels.Studies actual and potential problems and presents findings to officials using charts, slides, and other visual aids to describe findings, proposed solution, and effect in such areas as policy, program, organization, procedure, and form.Designs and implements marketing research systems and projects to identify and analyze competitors' strengths and weaknesses and marketing and communications processes' strengths and weaknesses.Conducts audits to monitor performance. Performs rate, load, financial, operational or marketing studies. Makes long- and short-range financial, operating, facilities or marketing plans.Provides direction and oversight of work of lower level Analysts.Attends work on continuous and regular basis.NON-ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONSDepending on area of assignment:Assists in identifying user needs for automated information systems.Assists in formulating operating procedures for assigned division.Assists departments in developing service goals, objectives and standards.May supervise, plan, and coordinate the work of subordinates.May act in absence of supervisor.Performs other related duties as assigned.QUALIFICATIONSTo perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job function satisfactorily. Below are the required education, experience, knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the essential functions.EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCEBachelor's degree in business, marketing, public administration, finance, accounting or a related field as required by the hiring department, and three (3) years of progressively responsible experience in financial, operational, fuels or marketing analysis, or seven (7) years of progressively responsible related analytical experience (with no degree), or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities.CERTIFICATIONS OR LICENSESLicensesDepending on area of assignment:Valid Florida Driver License required.CertificationsNone.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIESDepending on area of assignment:Thorough knowledge of financial, statistical, economic, utility, fuels or marketing analysis, techniques and modeling and the ability to apply knowledge in preparing studies and forecasts.Thorough knowledge of generally accepted accounting and financial principles and practices.Working knowledge of computers and relevant software and ability to apply knowledge in performing computations and analyses.Thorough knowledge of governmental or utility budget, audit and accounting procedures.Ability to keep records and prepare reports.Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.Ability to work effectively with elected officials, charter officers, department heads, representatives of other agencies, other City employees, and the general public.Thorough knowledge of organizational structure, functions, operations, objectives, and goals of municipal government or utilities.Thorough knowledge of laws, ordinances, regulations and statues which govern local government or utility functions.Ability to develop long-term plans and programs and to evaluate work and accomplishments.Ability to collate, analyze, and creatively interpret data and trends in order to make recommendations for products and services.Ability to make effective presentations in group or individual settings.Thorough knowledge of organization structure, functions, internal relationships, and interactions with other levels of organization.Thorough knowledge of office procedures and practices, business English, spelling, and commercial arithmetic.PHYSICAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL REQUIREMENTSTo perform this job successfully, an individual must possess certain physical abilities and be able to withstand work related environmental conditions.PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTSWhile performing the duties of this job, the employee is often required to sit for prolonged periods of time.WORK ENVIRONMENT
May be required to attend meetings outside regular business hours.
To learn more about benefits available to eligible City of Gainesville / Gainesville Regional Utilities employees, please CLICK HERE.
01Please select the option that best describes your relevant major course. **EDUCATION MUST BE SHOWN ON APPLICATION FOR CONSIDERATION**
02How many years of experience do you have in financial, operational, fuels or marketing analysis? ***All relevant work experience must be clearly listed and shown in your application for consideration.***
- Business, marketing, public administration, finance, accounting
- Other Non-Related
- No Degree
03Please select from the option below where you initially learned about this employment opportunity:
- 0 - Less than 1 year
- 1 year - Less than 2 years
- 2 years - Less than 3 years
- 3 years - Less than 5 years
- 5 years - Less than 7 years
- More than 7 years
04If you selected "Other" from the above option, please identify the event, activity or source where you initially learned about this employment opportunity. Please type N/A if this question does not apply to you.*05Please select the option below that best describes your highest level of education. Proof of the required education for this position will be requested at the time of appointment. You may attach the documentation as part of your application for review and consideration should you be selected to move forward in the hiring process.
- City of Gainesville Website
- Career Source
- Word of Mouth
- College Job Posting
- Prefer not to disclose
- Professional Diversity Network PDN
06Please briefly describe the type of reports, analysis and presentations you have made in your previous experience that qualify you for this position.
- High School Diploma
- Associates Degree
- Bachelor's Degree
- Master's Degree