Sumter Utilities A Class Lineman TRANS in Entire State, South Carolina
Sumter Utilities, Inc. (a Quanta Services company) seeks a Transmission A Class Lineman. Successful candidate will possess existing Transmission experience as a Journeyman lineman or long-term experience as an Apprentice Lineman able to demonstrate readiness to grow into a greater role. Preference may be given to candidates who are able to bring along additional qualified candidates to form entire crews.
SAFETY IS A CORE VALUE FOR OUR COMPANY so substantial weight will be given in the selection process to candidates demonstrating their shared commitment to safe operations.
We offer competitive wages, paid vacation and holidays, a full benefit package including Health, Dental, Vision, Optional Critical Care Insurance, LifeLock Identity Protection and both Company Paid & Supplemental Life Insurance as well. Benefits are available the 1st day of the next month following hire date. We also offer a 401k Retirement Savings Plan with a substantial company match.
After 6 months of employment, employees are eligible to apply for entry into SUI's DOL Certified 4-Year Apprenticeship Program. (Must have a HS Diploma or equivalent and CDL.)
Possession of a valid Class A CDL is HIGHLY PREFERRED. Those hired without a CDL may be required to obtain within 90 days of employment.
Sumter Utilities Inc. is an Equal Opportunity - Drug & Alcohol Free Workplace Employer
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as requested to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
• Able to perform rigorous physical labor as required. Including but not limited to climbing, rigging, lifting, rescue operations, etc.
• Able to identify primary and secondary voltage on a circuit.
• Proficient in all aspects of energized line work.
• Possess professional demeanor and interact in positive way with fellow crew members, general public and customer representatives.
• Proficient in understanding and reading blueprints.
• Able to properly sag wire.
• Capable of leading crew in assembly and erection of structures to all heights, in absence of Crew Foreman or with minimal supervision.
• Understands dead ending and sagging operations for all conductors.
• Capable of executing hot line work on conductor systems.
• Proficient at operation of Bucket Truck, Digger Derrick, Backhoe, other
• Proficient in Pole/Tower Climbing.
• Proficient in all aspects of heavy lifting and rigging.
• Must be familiar with induced voltage.
• Understands grounding procedures.
• Capable of working at heights and/or confined spaces.
• Capable of properly installing and removing PPE and cover up.
• Must be able to climb different types of structures (wood, steel, etc.) and possess the necessary tools to do so.
• Understands how to phase out a line using phasing sticks.
• Understands proper use of phasing sticks
• Able to identify and locate puller and tensioner setups.
• Able/willing to function within a Team environment and share knowledge with fellow crew members as appropriate.
• Capable of planning safe work based on a job print or work order.
• Understands how to obtain a "one shot" on a recloser.
• Understands minimum approach distance.
• Understands flag and tag procedures.
• Capable of performing basic bucket rescue/escape.
• Must be able to effectively lead a Job Task Safety Analysis meeting or tailgate briefing.
• Capable of safely installing and removing mechanical jumpers.
• Possess knowledge to properly inspect rubber goods, cover and PPE.
• Able/willing to travel long distances on short notice, when required.
• Able/willing to work for extended periods in various locations, when required.
• Able/willing to work outside, frequently in inclement weather.
• Able/willing to work Overtime, when required.
The employee is required to sit; frequently climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, bend, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or maneuver up to 40 pounds and occasionally lift and/or maneuver up to 75 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Work is primarily performed outdoors so physical exposure to often extreme weather conditions, animals and insects and other outdoor hazards is unavoidable and required.
Job Locations US-SC-Entire State
Job ID 2020-1296
Category Lineman Level Energized