Eversource Energy Distribution System Operator in Dorchester, Massachusetts
Check out this video and find out why our team loves to work here!
POSITION: 14 – Distribution System Operator
DEPARTMENT: Electric Service Dispatch
LOCATION : Dorchester, MA
(permanent location assigned after approximately 10 months of training, potential locations are: Dorchester, Southborough, or New Bedford)
STARTING RATE OF PAY: $50.60
CURRENTLY POSTED HOURS: Various Shifts
SCHEDULE: Various Shifts
**Union Represented Position**
As an entry-level Dispatcher, employees are engaged in an apprentice program designed to provide the knowledge, skill and experience necessary to perform the duties of a Dispatcher. Under close or directive supervision, incumbents assist the Dispatch Supervisor in the emergency and normal operation of the electric and steam distribution systems. For the purpose of learning standard work methods and to develop the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities, assignments will include work of the Dispatcher position.
It is required that incumbents progress to the position of Dispatcher. To progress to the journey level position, the incumbent must satisfactorily meet the requirement of the apprentice program including passing periodic evaluations and exams as set forth in the program.
- Monitors, operates and maintains Network Management System including the operation of SCADA equipment.
- Plans, writes, checks, approves, directs, issues clearances and monitors orders for switching, grounding and tagging instructions for the distribution system.
- Receives trouble calls (tickets) from customer service center, analyzes the problem, initiates corrective action with appropriate district function including call-out of personnel in accordance with established procedures. Directs corrective action as required by timing or circumstances, and informs appropriate system personnel (customer service center, T&D staff, districts, etc.) of problems on the electric distribution system and associated restoration progress.
- Monitors load and voltages on circuits and substation equipment during switching and peak periods to assure loading parameters are not exceeded.
- Assists at Division EOCs and other levels of RMTs during emergency storm restoration as assigned.
- Maintains the Company’s operations diagrams and associated databases to reflect current system status.
- Operates and maintains database for NMS system (new customers circuit changes,etc.) through existing and replacement technologies (i.e.OMS to Mobile, DMS,etc.).
-Monitors SCADA, substation system alarms.
-Coordinates Eversource switching requirements between system operators and appropriate region and/or district personnel for assigned shift.
-Prepares, disseminates, and maintains the system operations center records and reports in support of system operations (i.e., circuit and equipment loads, nomenclature, interruption reports, emergency contact telephone numbers for governmental agencies, large customers, other utilities, and others).
-Operates PC-based and mainframe applications.
1. High School diploma, Associate's degree in electrical technology preferred or the equivalent.
2. Six years of related electrical utility experience.
3. Must pass EEI system operator’s test.
4. The incumbent must be capable of communicating and responding effectively in person and via communication systems and equipment. S/he must also be able to differentiate colors in order to read the distribution system map and operate computer consoles.
5. Must have demonstrated the ability to keep track of a variety of details, to adjust quickly to changing situations, to visualize and analyze system conditions, to apply knowledge of dispatching principles and Company regulations in the resolution of problems, to give instructions clearly concisely and to secure the cooperation of others.
6. Thourough knowledge of Overhead and Underground distribution plant & equipment, Overhead/Underground work methods, and switching & tagging procedures is a prerequisite for this position. Knowledge will be established by successfully passing a standardized written/verbal test.
7. Ability to function under stress of emergency situations for extended periods of time.
8. Ability to analyze electric distribution system problems and act accordingly.
Number of Openings:
Eversource Energy is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, disability status, or protected veteran status.
VEVRRA Federal Contractor
- Eversource Energy Jobs