Eversource Energy Director, Grid Management in Dorchester, Massachusetts
Check out this video and find out why our team loves to work here! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHmr45H8xZE)Role and Scope of Position:
Lead the development and growth of an organization dedicated to providing operational and engineering support for transmission and distribution control rooms across the Company’s three state service territory. Oversee team of engineers and technicians responsible for supporting real time systems, including maintenance of the transmission energy management system, enterprise SCADA systems and the distribution outage management system (OMS). Coordinate multi-disciplinary process improvement initiatives focused on increasing data quality and model accuracy in support of real time system operations. Develop and implement strategy for increasing deployment of engineering resources adjacent to distribution control rooms to support real time operations with a focus on monitoring and managing the impact of distributed energy resources, including but not limited to solar forecasting, dispatch of utility-scale energy storage, Volt VAR optimization (VVO) and dispatch of behind the meter energy storage and demand response to address system-level and local grid needs. Direct initiatives aimed at increasing the use of analytical tools in support of real time operations. Coordinate with counterparts in Grid Modernization Technology, System Operations and information technology (IT) as a thought leader in development of additional real time systems including but not limited to distribution management system (DMS) and distributed energy resource management system (DERMS) technology. Define and implement organizational and process requirements to maintain DMS model. Lead team responsible for ensuring use of DERMS technology in support of system optimization. Engage with external counterparts and stakeholders to ensure the Company is leveraging and contributing to industry best practices in grid management.
- Direct team responsible for maintaining transmission and distribution SCADA systems, ensuring timely and accurate updates to support real time system operations
- Direct team responsible for maintaining multiple transmission system models in the energy management system (EMS), ensuring compliance with ISO-New England requirements
- Direct team responsible for distribution model maintenance, including troubleshooting and ensuring accurate daily updates to the Company’s OMS for three state service territory
- Lead initiative to support ongoing DMS model maintenance, including resource strategy, training and process documentation.
- Manage an organization of engineering resources (tools and skills) to support real time distribution system operations with optimization functions related to distribution automation, VVO and integration of solar, energy storage and other distributed energy resources.
- Oversee analytics projects aimed at providing tools to support real time operations, such as PI displays, load and generation forecasts and tools to increase system visibility.
- Coordinate with counterparts in System Operations to identify and implement improvements to operations support functions.
- Work with counterparts in System Operations, IT and Grid Modernization Technology to ensure implementation of grid modernization technologies reflect process and people requirements for ongoing system maintenance and use in grid optimization functions.
Develop and implement organizational change management strategies to ensure effective and efficient adoption of new technology tools for system operations and engineering support resources.
Work collaboratively across the organization to leverage the Company’s strengths and opportunities to motivate cross-functional participation in the development and implementation of grid optimization functions.
- Communicate vision and objectives of Grid Management organization to internal and external audiences, including senior leadership.
- Ensure management support for retention and development of Grid Management staff. Assesses and address the need for training and skill development.
- Establish and monitor goals, policies, plans, standards, performance objectives and budget for the Grid Management organization in alignment with organizational and corporate goals.
- Provide input and operational perspective to the regulatory group to support justification of project proposals with state regulators and development of advocacy positions on key energy policies.
- Participate in industry forums to support the Company’s position contributing to industry best practices in grid management.
- Requires extensive knowledge of the design, operations and maintenance of transmission, substation and electric distributioninfrastructure
- Requires comprehensive knowledge of system operations procedures, processes and operations, including SCADA, EMS and OMS systems
- Thorough understanding of electrical engineering concepts and strong analytical skills; demonstrated business development aptitude with strong presentation skills; familiarity with grid modernization technologies
- Strong leadership skills to penetrate and work effectively throughout the organization
- Customer driven; displays initiative as a change agent with a can-do attitude; accepts responsibility and holds others accountable; participates in and facilitates team effectiveness; assumes the role of team leader
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering or bachelor’s degree in engineering technology required
- MS in Engineering or MBA preferred
- Twelve or more years of successful system operations, engineering and other related experience required
- Direct experience with electric distribution energy industry preferred.
Licenses & Certifications:
- Must be available to work emergency restoration assignment as required.
- Must be available to travel between MA/CT/NH as necessary.
Mental Aspects :
Set and Communicate Direction and Priorities
- Cascade and translate strategies into action plans.
- Communicate goals and priorities (company, department, team); ensure line of sight
- Drive accountability/monitor progress
- Communicate, communicate, communicate
Build Trusting Relationships
- Role model honesty and integrity in all communication and actions
- Balance “getting results” with concern for individual needs
- Have honest dialogue with employees; get to know them
- Track commitments and follow-up
Manage and Develop People
- Create individual development plans with direct reports
- Set realistic performance objectives
- Give ongoing, honest feedback; coach for success
- Differentiate performance and provide rewards and recognition
Foster Teamwork and Cross-functional Collaboration
- Surface and address competing goals
- Encourage cooperation/remove obstacles between functions
- Conduct teambuilding/development processes
- Encourage collaboration
- Guide team in translating organizational goals into day-to-day work
Create a Diverse, Inclusive Workforce
- Involve employees/seek input in decision making, on continuous improvement ideas and change
- Diversify staff, where possible, in hiring/promotions
- Seek opportunities to utilize diverse suppliers
- Exhibit a “can-do” attitude to successfully develop and implement changes in strategy, priorities and work processes
- Respond positively to new demands or circumstances
- Act optimistically to influence others to embrace change
Focus on the Customer
- Ensure that we have processes in place to deliver on our customer promise and provide superior customer service
- Be a role model for the business on delivering superior customer service
Number of Openings:
Eversource Energy is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, disability status, or protected veteran status.
VEVRRA Federal Contractor
- Eversource Energy Jobs