DTE Energy Planning & Business Analyst in Detroit, Michigan
Planning & Business Analyst-11126
The future is bright at DTE Energy! We are the largest electric and gas utility in Michigan with an aspiration to be the best-operated energy company in North America. We are a Fortune 500 company headquartered in Detroit, Michigan with businesses in 26 different states.
DTE Energy’s utility and non-utility businesses are poised for significant growth. We look forward to working with highly motivated and team-oriented individuals to energize our efforts of growing economically and environmentally.
We care for our employees and prioritize their health and safety first. Recently, DTE Energy has been recognized as an outstanding place to work and has received the following accolades:
· Gallup Great Workplace Award for 5 consecutive years
· 7th on Indeed’s annual “50 Best Places to Work” award
· Metropolitan Detroit’s 101 Best and Brightest Companies to work For
· J.D. Power Customer Satisfaction Award
· Professional Women’s Magazine/Black EOE Journal “Best of the Best”
· Computerworld’s 100 Best Places to Work in IT
· Best Employers for a Healthy Lifestyle Gold Award
· Detroit Free Press Green Leaders Award
DTE Energy is an equal opportunity employer and considers all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, religion, disability, national origin, citizenship, height, weight, genetic information, marital status, pregnancy, protected veteran status or any other status protected by law.
This is an intermediate-level planning and business analyst, requiring planning and business analytical knowledge and skills, while still acquiring higher-level skills within the planning and analytical discipline, and/or knowledge of a particular business unit (BU). Incumbents analyze a broad variety of financial and operational issues, the related technical implications & outcomes, and are expected to proffer solutions and recommendations concerning the BU's progress verses established plans and objectives, and with regard to ensuring the most efficacious utilization of personnel, equipment and resources within the BU. Perform analyses in support of the planning function within a BU (or on be-half of a group of BUs), including analyses of competitors, inter-BU needs and resource utilization, operational effectiveness and capacity utilization. Incumbents work with regular guidance from their own area of expertise and rely upon senior-level staff within the BU for information and guidance specific to the BU's operations. Span of control =0; this is an individual contributor job
- Researches, prepares analyses and simulations of BU operations and
operational effectiveness, including benchmarking the BU functions against
competitors, to support recommendations for BU improvement( s), goal- and
- Tracks, maintains and provides up-to-date information on the BU's metrics
(representing the BU's objectives & goals), and scorecard.
- Analyzes the impact of various BU initiatives in the context of regulatory
requirements and considerations.
- May coordinate BU planning and metrics with other areas of the Corporation. 5. Presents the findings of various BU planning and metric activities to senior-
level BU leadership.
- May provide budget development, tracking and related analytical support for
the BU's leadership, or for operating groups within a given BU.
- May analyze the BU's cost elements to ensure that the BU or operating
groups with the BU is generating the maximum value.
- Analyzes capital & O&M projects; develops recommendations for long- range
- Works with BU staff in developing a sound understanding of their component
of the business; uses that understanding to analyze industry issues for
application in developing BU strategies, goals and objectives.
- Contributes to the development of the BU planning process; implements &
- Provides planning & related business improvement consultation to BU
- Analyzes BU financial information used in setting the BU's goals & targets. 13. Performs or supports the performance of internal & external BU analyses,
including the identifica-tion of strengths, weakness, opportunities, threats &
- Coordinates the process for identifying, selecting, and prioritizing O&M and
- Coordinates and recommends the designs of templates and planning tools
used in the BU planning process.
- Incumbents in the Nuclear Generation organization must be able to accept
designated Emergency Response Organization assignments.
- Minimum: Bachelor's degree and 3-plus years of planning, continuous
improvement / quality assurance, or related experience.
- Proficiency in spreadsheet & MS Office (Excel, Access, PowerPoint and
Word) applications sufficient to apply them with minimal instruction or
guidance. This level of proficiency typically attainable through 2-plus year(s) of
substantive experience with these applications.
- Preferred: Post-graduate degree in business or engineering; 5-plus years of
experience, including work in the applicable BU.
- Proficient verbal, written and presentation skills; communicates clearly, with
credibility and confidence.
Intermediate-to-advanced analytical and project management skills.
Analytical & problem-solving skills consistent with the ability to identify key
issues from a broad range of alternatives, and recommend optimal solutions
for various situations.
- Ability to develop / coordinate cross-functional work groups and projects,
yielding optimal outcomes.
Working knowledge of financial & economic analysis & project management.
Basic understanding of power generation, transmission, distribution and
regional power dispatch issues.
Ability to work in a team and/or matrixed structure, supporting multiple clients.
Flexibility & the ability to work with shifting priorities; embrace new/evolving
- Initiates new ideas and approaches; challenges prevailing practices &
approaches with reasonably sound alternatives. Physical & Security
Considerations: Physical capacity to work in a power plant environment, e.g.
climb stairs, work in hot confined en-vironments. Ability to pass security
screening & drug testing (required for access to certain areas).
- Maximo and CRM experience preferred.
Incumbents may engage in all or some combination of the activities and accountabilities, and utilize varying combinations of the competencies cited in this description, depending on the organization & role to which they're assigned. This description is intended to describe the general nature & level of work being performed by incumbents in this job. It is not intended as an all-inclusive list of accountabilities or responsibilities, nor is it intended to limit the right of any supervisory or management representative to assign, direct & control the work of employees under his supervision. performance.
Job: Gas Distribution Operations & Maintenance
Title: Planning & Business Analyst
Primary Location: Michigan-Detroit
Requisition ID: 11126