Southern Company Consultant, New Business Const in Des Plaines, Illinois
Consultant, New Business Const
The Customer Development Department focusses on growing our business from the addition of new customers, increased utilization of natural gas from our existing customer base, and maintaining long term relationships with our key customer accounts.
The purpose of this position is to promote and market natural gas and facilitate the on-boarding of all new residential, commercial, and industrial customers to the utility’s distribution system. The primary focus of this role is to drive market strategy and growth opportunities and analyze expansion through the addition of new customers and expansion into unserved communities and new natural gas market applications. This role is responsible for initiating and developing relationships with customers/developers to collaboratively facilitate their natural gas infrastructure projects. This role utilizes rigorous project management and technical skills to develop and execute new business designs in a timely and efficient manner, as well as optimize designs such that they are both cost-effective and meet corporate policies and standards. The individual in this role will work with internal and external parties to ensure that we develop and maintain consistent and supportive customer growth opportunities to meet annual growth targets.
JOB REQUIREMENTS: (Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills)
• Bachelor’s Degree
• 5 years of related work or military experience
• Proficiency with MS Office
• Valid Driver’s License – position requires local travel within our service territory
• Previous experience with construction project planning
• Previous experience with builders/developers for residential/commercial construction
• Previous experience with customer-facing opportunities, front line sales, or market development
• Excellent communication, presentation, negotiation and networking skills
• Strong organizational skills and excellent follow through skills
• Leadership skills, excellent interpersonal skills, ability to take initiative, highly organized
• Ability to build strong relationships with both internal and external customers
• Customer focused mindset with proven ability to respond quickly to customer needs
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements:
• This position is based out of an office environment, however site visits, customer visits, and pre-construction meetings are required
• This position may require excessive driving throughout the Nicor Gas service territory
MAJOR JOB RESPONSIBILITIES: Specify major duties performed by the job and % of time spent on duties.
• Initiate and develop relationships with customers/developers to collaboratively facilitate their natural gas infrastructure projects from project initiation through construction installation completion
• Provide a single point of contact for a customer during the complete onboarding process from project initiation through construction installation completion
• Utilize rigorous project management and technical skills to develop and execute new business designs in a timely and efficient manner, as well as optimize designs such that they are both cost-effective and meet corporate policies and standards
• Ensure all customers are extended service in as timely and cost-effective manner as possible, by managing the planning, design and coordination for the construction of underground natural gas utility infrastructure for residential, commercial, and industrial customers
• Work with customers to obtain and evaluate essential project information such as natural gas load requirements, delivery pressure requirements, plats, site plans, etc.
• Formulate the most efficient routing of new gas mains and services to serve new residential, commercial, and industrial developments; recognize job site opportunities and propose alternative natural gas main and service designs for system reliability and cost effectiveness; advise potential residential, commercial, and/or industrial natural gas customers of constructability issues during the planning process
• Work collaboratively to drive a project with technical staff and other internal departments to ensure timely design and implementation of natural gas infrastructure projects while providing a superior customer experience though the sales and customer onboarding process
• Prioritize and manages multiple projects simultaneously to optimize overall customer demand portfolio.
• Generate budgets for new business projects and run feasibility models; reconcile past payments to the original customer commitment as directed by tariff.
• Responsible for negotiating and completing contracts, commitments, or agreements with the customer
• Identify and drive opportunities for growth through conversions utilizing a consultative sales approach, promoting the benefits of natural gas over other energy sources
• Provide excellent customer service through timely and thorough communication with individual customers, municipalities and other governmental agencies at on-site planning meetings and throughout the entire onboarding process
• Balance external stakeholder (customer, regulatory agency, permitting jurisdiction, etc.) needs with company goals and objectives to reach favorable resolution to stakeholder issues and/or concerns
• Maintain a thorough knowledge of the company’s terms and conditions, tariffs, rates, processes, etc.
• Responsible for after-hours duty supervision coverage (duty supervisor)
Southern Company Gas provides for the energy needs of millions of U.S. households and businesses. As the largest natural gas-only distribution company in the United States, with more than 150 years of history behind us, we're working to ensure that Americans have access to an abundant, safely delivered supply of natural gas for decades to come. We offer our customers a wide range of energy services under one umbrella: seven regulated utilities as well as non-regulated businesses that offer retail, wholesale and storage services.
Southern Company (NYSE: SO) is America's premier energy company, with 46,000 megawatts of generating capacity and 1,500 billion cubic feet of combined natural gas consumption and throughput volume serving 9 million customers through its subsidiaries . The company provides clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy through electric operating companies in four states, natural gas distribution companies in seven states, a competitive generation company serving wholesale customers across America and a nationally recognized provider of customized energy solutions, as well as fiber optics and wireless communications . Southern Company brands are known for excellent customer service, high reliability and affordable prices that are below the national average. Through an industry-leading commitment to innovation, Southern Company and its subsidiaries are inventing America's energy future by developing the full portfolio of energy resources, including carbon-free nuclear, 21st century coal, natural gas, renewables and energy efficiency, and creating new products and services for the benefit of customers. Southern Company has been named by the U.S. Department of Defense and G.I. Jobs magazine as a top military employer, recognized among the Top 50 Companies for Diversity by DiversityInc, listed by Black Enterprise magazine as one of the 40 Best Companies for Diversity and designated a Top Employer for Hispanics by Hispanic Network. The company has earned a National Award of Nuclear Science and History from the National Atomic Museum Foundation for its leadership and commitment to nuclear development and is continually ranked among the top energy companies in Fortune's annual World's Most Admired Electric and Gas Utility rankings. Visit our website at www.southerncompany.com.
Southern Company is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Job Field: Administrative & Clerical
Job Type: Standard
Primary Location: Illinois-Metro Chicago-Des Plaines
Operating Company: Southern Company Gas
Other Locations: Illinois-Northern Illinois-Crystal Lake, Illinois-Metro Chicago-Glenwood, Illinois-Metro Chicago-Elgin
Job Type: Standard
Travel (Up to...): No
Des Plaines - 1665 Birchwood Ave. (1665DesPlainesCODE)
1665 Birchwood Ave.
Des Plaines, 60018
300 West Terra Cotta (300CrystalLakeCODE)
300 West Terra Cotta
Crystal Lake, 60115
Glenwood - 19199 Glenwood Chicago Heights Rd. (19199GlenwoodCODE)
19199 Glenwood Chicago Heights Rd.
Elgin - 1800 Big Timber Rd. (1800ElginCODE)
1800 Big Timber Rd.
Req ID: GAS2001078