DTE Energy Principal Engineer - Energy Distribution in Clinton Twp, Michigan
Principal Engineer - Energy Distribution-11117
The future is bright at DTE Energy! We are the largest electric and gas utility in Michigan with an aspiration to be the best-operated energy company in North America. We are a Fortune 500 company headquartered in Detroit, Michigan with businesses in 26 different states.
DTE Energy’s utility and non-utility businesses are poised for significant growth. We look forward to working with highly motivated and team-oriented individuals to energize our efforts of growing economically and environmentally.
We care for our employees and prioritize their health and safety first. Recently, DTE Energy has been recognized as an outstanding place to work and has received the following accolades:
· Gallup Great Workplace Award for 5 consecutive years
· 7th on Indeed’s annual “50 Best Places to Work” award
· Metropolitan Detroit’s 101 Best and Brightest Companies to work For
· J.D. Power Customer Satisfaction Award
· Professional Women’s Magazine/Black EOE Journal “Best of the Best”
· Computerworld’s 100 Best Places to Work in IT
· Best Employers for a Healthy Lifestyle Gold Award
· Detroit Free Press Green Leaders Award
DTE Energy is an equal opportunity employer and considers all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, religion, disability, national origin, citizenship, height, weight, genetic information, marital status, pregnancy, protected veteran status or any other status protected by law.
Applies an advanced and diversified knowledge of engineering and project management. Make decisions independently on engineering problems and methods, and represents the Business Unit (BU) in resolving important engineering-related questions. Manages electric distribution and/or generation-related projects of varying scope. Incumbents at this level typically have a combination of several years of progressive levels of engineering responsibility and breadth, are recognized for their expertise in a given specialty area or engineering discipline. May consult with supervisor concerning extremely unusual problems or developments, but typically operate with substantial latitude for un-reviewed actions and decisions. Physical capacity to in substations, customer facilities, industrial and power plant environments e.g. climb stairs, work in hot confined environments, and pass security screening & drug testing (required for access to certain areas). Must be able report to varying locations within the Company’s service area on an as needed basis. This is an Individual Contributor role, although incumbents may advise, guide and mentor less experienced engineering and technical personnel, coordinate the activities of small groups or project teams, and provide oversight in day-to-day project team activities and input in the performance management process. Span of control = 0
• Applies an advanced knowledge of electrical distribution and/or generation in the interpretation of blueprints, drawings, schematics and other design documents, in managing various projects and engineering-related processes & initiatives.
• Conducts advanced studies and analyses in the resolution of complex engineering-related issues; may establish engineering standards and practices.
• Makes sound engineering decisions under limited time constraints
• Reviews electric system design and field changes.
• Establishes and reviews test procedures; uses engineering expertise to determine when new or alternative technology, processes, and materials may be advantageous, and promotes their adoption and application.
• May provide expert testimony pertaining to the incumbent’s area of expertise in legal and/or ad-initiative proceedings.
• Reviews project schedules and documentation, tracks progress, monitors activities and expenses to ensure that assigned projects are completed timely and within budget. Solves technical and nontechnical problems throughout the life of a project; attempts to resolve problems during the de-sign and planning phases whenever possible.
• May oversee/coordinate work performed by outside contractors
• May lead process improvement teams.
• May instruct guide and review the plans and activities of less experienced engineers and ancillary personnel, assessing tasks such as project designs, costs and specifications; provides input about engineering practice and principles.
• Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering
• 7-plus years of experience in the given engineering discipline, including substantive work-lead or involvement in the management of engineer-in-related projects or initiatives.
• Utility industry experience
• 7 years power distribution/sub-transmission experience
• Post-graduate degree in engineering or a business-related discipline
• 10-plus years of engineering experience, including work-lead or responsibilities or limited-to-moderate scope engineering project management
• Registration as a Professional Engineer
• Proficient verbal, written and presentation skills; communicates clearly, with credibility and confidence.
• Analytical & problem-solving skills consistent with the ability to identify key issues from a broad range of alternatives, and recommend optimal solutions for various situations.
• Ability to develop / coordinate cross-functional work groups and projects, yielding optimal outcomes.
• Ability to conduct efficacious meetings & manage the meeting process with optimal results.
• Flexibility & the ability to work with shifting priorities; embrace new/evolving responsibilities.
• Copes with multiple demands from superiors, project team members, peers and less experienced engineering and technical personnel in a positive and even-handed fashion; displays a calm demeanor under pressure.
• Initiates new ideas and approaches; challenges prevailing practices & approaches with reasonably sound alternatives.
• Well-developed organization, planning and continuous improvement skills, typically acquired through several years of engineering and project leadership experience in affecting tangible, positive outcomes.
• Promotes an atmosphere conducive to the open exchange of new ideas, and alternatives to orthodox approaches.
• Motivates through leading by example, coaching/mentoring and providing ongoing constructive feedback to less experienced staff.
• Deals effectively with resistance; takes positive steps to avoid the recurrence of errors through constructive critique.
Incumbents may engage in all or some combination of the activities and accountabilities, and utilize varying combinations of the competencies cited in this description, depending on the organization & role to which they’re assigned. This description is intended to describe the general nature & level of work being performed by incumbents in this job. It is not intended as an all-inclusive list of accountabilities or responsibilities, nor is it intended to limit the right of any supervisory or management representative to assign, direct & control the work of employees under his supervision.
Title: Principal Engineer - Energy Distribution
Primary Location: Michigan-Clinton Twp
Requisition ID: 11117