New York Power Authority Meter Technician II in C Poletti, New York
• The role of the Meter Technician is to perform programming, testing and installation of advanced multifunction meter systems for NYPA’s generation, transmission and customer sites used for operational and revenue metering purposes.
• Performs or supports others in the field meter system calibration, troubleshooting, testing and meter replacement. Ensure meter data during testing is correctly edited in meters and MV90 for submission to NYISO as Meter Authority.
• Performs review of meter system performance, perform regular required maintenance & testing, troubleshooting, and repairs of metering equipment. Ensures metering equipment for both operational and revenue metering systems perform as required for NYPA Operations.
• Supports engineers on system upgrade drawings including one line, three line, wiring, and panel layout drawings. Develop metering schemes for advanced meter applications and develop meter programs/ setting files for variety of advanced smart meters.
• Support meter system maintenance and testing by developing meter test programs, reviewing test results for both routine testing as well as commissioning of transmission, generation and customer meters.
• Perform installation and commissioning of new advanced smart meter systems, perform field meter testing and troubleshooting.
• Based on standard meter programs, develop project specific meter program/ setting files.
• Perform advanced meter testing including meter measurement accuracy, meter/RTU communications, instrument transformer testing, and communication system testing.
• Perform review and evaluations of operational and revenue meter system performance and to ensure proper operation and profiling of generation, transmission and customer load data. Identify variances and trouble shoot with other support staff to resolve issues.
• Develop and maintain meter block diagrams used to document revenue and operational metering systems, and signal paths/interfaces to MV90, load management systems and real time systems such as SCADA. Utilize documentation to troubleshoot meter data or communication problems.
• Ensure deadlines are met as assigned by supervisors.
• Gather information (site, vendors and other engineers) for engineering tasks including replacement of meter systems and associated communications schemes.
• Responsible for the design for meter installations, both new and retrofit, which may include design drawing packages, meter programs/ setting files, communication setup, and meter test sheets.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Knowledge of utility grade electrical metering and control systems and associated components is required.
• Strong knowledge of advanced metering systems, smart meters, RTU, controls and communications systems in utility applications.
• Highly fluent in computer systems and substation IED configuration applications, firmware, network communication technology, serial communication configurations, and telecomm applications.
• Ability to perform technical analysis and troubleshooting, firmware upgrades, and in service testing and measurements.
• Solid understanding of power system engineering and theory.
• Knowledge of various communications systems used in meter data collection, and meter data analysis is required.
• Ability to apply diversified knowledge of engineering principles and practices, coupled with the understanding of the NYPA’s policies, operations, and objectives to solve complex technical problems, and make technical recommendations on design methods and obstacles on a project.
• Ability to produce clear, concise, complete and articulate reports which explain test results.
• Strong oral and written communication skills.
• Excellent teamwork and interpersonal skills.
Education, Experience and Certifications
• Two year Associates Degree in Electrical or Computer Engineering from an accredited college or university is required. Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
• Minimum of five years demonstrated work experience related to the position description is required.
• Experience programming and testing Smart meters and RTUs is preferred.
• Experience with NYPA policies and business practices preferred.
• Ability to access all areas of the plant and conduct physical evaluations of grounds and equipment including ability to climb and work at high elevation, and ability to stand for long periods of time.
• Ability to lift up to 40 pounds on a regular basis.
Military Occupational Speciality Codes
MOS - Army: [[custMOSArmy]]
MOS - Marines: [[custMOSMarines]]
MOS - Navy : [[custMOSNavy]]
The New York Power Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer