National Grid Principal Specialist, Risk Management in Brooklyn, New York
Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities, and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. We connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers, reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both ourselves and our business.
• Manage assurance/second line of defense framework for National Grid business segments to align with the new Assurance BMS standard to address key risks, adherence to Federal Codes / State Regulations / Company Standards and rate case commitments.
• Analyze operational performance and the execution of key controls against standards and constantly changing internal and external requirements and pressures.
• Assist business areas in developing and managing controls where failure of those controls could pose a significant risk to the Business.
• Set policies and standards in collaboration with the Business to manage key controls in the various business segments
• Advise the Business on the design of controls appropriate to managing risk and compliance
• Monitor and challenge the effectiveness of controls and further refine with the Business when necessary to compensate for a changing internal and external environment
• Work with and guide the process teams and senior leaders within the Business to review and challenge the effectiveness of controls and assurance plans
• Sufficiently document the results of the assurance activity to provide senior leadership and the BoD on the effectiveness of the key controls
• Continuously communicate assurance findings across the various business segments and other functional areas to inform and encourage risk and compliance controls and best practice sharing
• Work with Corporate Audit and the Business to ensure the assurance framework and business controls remediate audit findings
• Lead, motivate and develop a future team of assurance experts
•Bachelor’s degree required / MBA preferred
• Minimum of 5+ years’ experience in business operations or assurance position. Experience and/or significant familiarization with gas, electric, transmission, generation operations preferred
• Minimum 2+ years’ management experience at the manager level or equivalent
• Demonstrated project management skills
• Strong understanding of risk, controls and assurance activities
• Influential, energetic and enthusiastic business leader, with the drive, ambition and resilience to make things happen and deliver outstanding performance
• Strong data management and/or IT skills.
This position is one of National Grid’s career path roles which provide for promotional opportunities within and across salary bands as you develop and evolve in the position by gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve.
National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.