National Grid Lead Policy Analyst in Brooklyn, New York
Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities, and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. We connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers, reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both ourselves and our business.
National Grid is hiring a Lead Policy Analyst for our New York Customer Energy Management department in Brooklyn, NY.
The Lead Policy Analyst, Customer Energy Management (CEM) provides budget and financial leadership to achieve alignment of internal, regulatory, and stakeholder priorities while maintaining a focus on meeting customer needs and expectations for energy efficiency, demand response, beneficial electrification and other clean energy solutions. This role is based within CEM NY’s Policy Development Team that leads the development of three-year energy efficiency plans to be filed with regulators on behalf of the Company. The role will have a focus on budgeting, performance goals, and external reporting. Comfort working cross-functionally is critical in this role to ensure many Company and stakeholder needs are managed on an aggressive timeline.
Responsibilities (including, but not limited to):
• Leads CEM NY Product Teams and supporting analysts and Delivery Teams in budgeting, forecasting, and financial planning efforts; develops and maintains financial management procedures.
• Analyzes large sets of data relating to energy saving measures, customers, system benefits and budgets/spending/energy savings. Presents conclusions in a concise and readily understandable manner. Candidates with a background in creating new and successful data reporting processes are desired.
• Has expertise in Microsoft excel and the ability to become proficient in the Company’s internal data and reporting systems.
• Develops an understanding of customer needs and priorities, including differences that may exist among segments of customers. Applies critical thinking through insight gained via customer experiences, research, analysis, and best practices to creatively design solutions that meet or exceed customer expectations.
• Understands New York’s climate and energy policies in The Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act (CLCPA) and the New Efficiency New York (NE:NY) docket and supports the Company’s 80x50 goal to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 80% below 1990 baseline levels by 2050 and ensures that these goals are represented during the energy efficiency planning process.
• Partners with several internal teams on a day-to-day basis to ensure optimal performance of program portfolio. Participate on process excellence teams and continuously improve processes for customers and colleagues.
• Comfortable and confident presenting in front of an audience to include internal and external stakeholders, advisory councils, and regulators at the NY Public Service Commission and Department of Public Service.
• Supports the optimization of product and service development to support regulatory requirements, meet compliance obligations, electric and gas system needs and achieve success by creating value for customers and driving improved financial outcomes for National Grid.
• A Master's degree in a business, economics, accounting, finance or engineering related area and 3+ years of related experience, or a Bachelor’s Degree and 5+ years in one or more of the following fields related to energy: commercial or residential energy efficiency, evaluation, energy policy and government, economics, engineering, sustainable program management or customer delivery or implementation.
• Knowledge of the electric and gas industry; energy efficiency program planning, design, implementation and evaluation, local and national energy policy.
• Knowledge of relevant industry practices, science and policies.
• Proficient in relevant software e.g. Microsoft Office products (Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
• Knowledge of National Grid's business operations, company policies and practices.
• Strong oral and written communications skills.
This position has a career path which provides for advancement opportunities within and across bands as you develop and evolve in the position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills. Internal candidates will be assessed and provided offers against the minimum qualifications of this role and their individual experience.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.