Avangrid OSS Engineering Manager in Boston, Massachusetts
OSS Engineering Manager
Company: AVANGRID RENEWABLES, LLC
Boston, MA, US
About AVANGRID: AVANGRID, Inc. (NYSE: AGR) aspires to be the leading sustainable energy company in the United States. Headquartered in Orange, CT with approximately $39 billion in assets and operations in 24 U.S. states, AVANGRID has two primary lines of business: Avangrid Networks and Avangrid Renewables. Avangrid Networks owns eight electric and natural gas utilities, serving more than 3.3 million customers in New York and New England. Avangrid Renewables owns and operates a portfolio of renewable energy generation facilities across the United States. AVANGRID employs approximately 7,000 people and has been recognized by Forbes and Just Capital as one of the 2021 JUST 100 companies - a list of America's best corporate citizens - and was ranked number one within the utility sector for its commitment to the environment and the communities it serves. The company supports the U.N.’s Sustainable Development Goals and was named among the World’s Most Ethical Companies in 2021 for the third consecutive year by the Ethisphere Institute. For more information, visit www.avangrid.com (https://www.avangrid.com/wps/portal/avangrid/home)
Avangrid Renewables, a subsidiary of Avangrid, Inc. (NYSE: AGR), is a leading developer, owner and operator of renewable energy facilities in the United States with an eight-gigawatt portfolio of onshore wind and solar projects across 22 states. Avangrid Renewables’ offshore wind business is pioneering this new industry with a development pipeline of five gigawatts off the East Coast. Our offshore portfolio consists of the first-in-the-nation joint venture project Vineyard Wind, which will deliver 800 MW of clean energy into Massachusetts starting in 2023; Park City Wind, an 804 MW project to serve the state of Connecticut; and Kitty Hawk Offshore Wind that has the potential to deliver 2,500 MW of clean energy into Virginia and North Carolina. We aspire to be the employer of choice by providing purposeful and challenging work revolutionizing the renewable energy industry in the United States. This role will be part of a team developing, designing, constructing and operating large scale offshore wind projects which will provide affordable, clean energy and will have a transformational impact on local communities. Avangrid Renewables’ offshore business is located in Boston, Massachusetts.
Avangrid is part of the IBERDROLA Group, a global energy pioneer with the largest renewable asset base of any company in the world. Avangrid employs approximately 7,000 people and has been recognized by Forbes and Just Capital as one of the 2021 JUST 100 companies – a list of America’s best corporate citizens – and was ranked number one within the utility sector for its commitment to the environment and the communities it serves. The company supports the U.N.’s Sustainable Development Goals and was named among the World’s Most Ethical Companies in 2021 for the third consecutive year by the Ethisphere Institute.
The Offshore Substation (OSS) Engineering Manager is a critical role within the Offshore Business focusing on the delivery of large-scale offshore wind projects (large packages) in the US, working with Multinational Partner(s) and Contractors ensuring that Company position is suitably protected at any agreements.
Belonging to the EPC Services Team and Reporting to either the Head of Project Support or a technical discipline Department Manager, the OSS Engineering Manager will be responsible for defining the design, tendering, negotiating and managing multi-million offshore substation, planning, leading delivery phase including management of multiple offshore contractors and associated interfaces, defining company and business standards and acceptance criteria, and ensuring quality, best practices and excellent H&SE performance are applied. The candidate will be managing delivery activities and decisions from a senior global perspective across the offshore portfolio.
The individual will be working as part of a global business with activities in many countries across Europe and the rest of the world. The position may require travel to various locations worldwide during development, contracting and delivery of projects (large packages) the individual should be prepared to manage teams working at different project locations.
• Coordinate the overall OSS project design
• Ensure the OSS design meets the requirements and expectations of Iberdrola and satisfies the provisions of industry standards, including health, safety and environmental;
• Ensure the OSS design is sufficiently robust for the whole project life cycle, i.e. construction, installation, commissioning, operation and decommissioning and technical risks are mitigated to an acceptable level;
• Ensure the design maximizes the returns of the investment during the whole project life cycle;
• Support Project Manager and Project Director in meeting Project objectives in H&S, Quality, Program and Budget.
• Support implementation in the Project of Engineering Procedures/Guidelines and Project Execution Plan.
• Engage with Business functions when required.
• Ensure all lessons learnt regarding offshore delivery are captured and shared across the different offshore projects (large packages). Establish the right mechanisms for this process and ensuring the teams and project implement them to capture and enhance business value.
Skills and Requirements
• Proven offshore projects management experience within a delivery orientated environment in the delivery of large-scale projects
• Experience on HVAC/HVDC connection projects and electrical technical background is highly valued.
• Significant delivery preparation and management experience in offshore environment.
• Significant “hands-on experience” within a delivery project management environment ideally in a commercially focused utility service and/or delivery business.
• High degree of competency in future planning. Proven experience in delivery and contracting management and programming.
• Experience in offshore windfarm, marine works or oil and gas delivery and marine operations.
• Significant experience in leading tendering processes, contract negotiations and detailed commercial delivery contracts.
• Experience in dealing with health and safety and environmental legislation associated with delivery, marine and offshore projects (large packages).
• Proactive people manager, leader and motivator.
• Sound relationship management skills and confidence working with Project Directors and Senior Management.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Ability to influence and develop key project and business decisions.
• Excellent report writing, presentation skills and ability to summarize key parameters and drivers impacting the project and business.
• Ability to work, manage teams and manage decision making process under pressure and to tight deadlines
• Sound planning and analysis skills with the ability to look forward and see/ anticipate problems and thereafter plan and implement mitigating solutions to negate the effect of such problems.
• Innovative and creative thinking.
• Problem solving – dealing with conflicting requirements.
• Tenacity, persistence and determination to succeed in overcoming obstacles.
• High capacity for change and experience of leading others through change.
• Contribute (or ensure resources are available) to early development projects (large packages), providing key knowledge to development teams on build ability / delivery issues.
• Recruit staff necessary to deliver the projects (large packages) over the above timescales.
• Liaise with Project Directors across the business to ensure all delivery aspects are appropriately considered during the project planning and execution.
• Ability to manage complex projects (large packages) and contracts which require interface and precise coordination with multiple disciplines (structures, turbines, electrical cables, offshore substations, ports, vessels).
• Ability to manage teams in multiple sites.
• Balance technical detail with commercial needs and provide recommendations, considering all relevant risks.
• Ensure that all recommendations are documented, and due diligence exists to support decisions (whether internal or external diligence).
Develop Self & Others
Empower to grow
Collaborate and Share
Be a role model
Focus to achieve results
Please note that any applicant who is not a citizen of the country of the vacancy will be subject to compliance with the applicable immigration requirements to legally work in that country
Avangrid employees may be assigned a system emergency role and in the event of a system emergency, may be required to work outside of their regular schedule/job duties. This is applicable to employees that will work in Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, and New York within AVANGRD Network and Corporate functions. This does not include those that will work for Avangrid Renewables
AVANGRID’s employment practices and policies are geared to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. At AVANGRID we provide fair and equal employment and advancement opportunities for all employees and candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, protected veteran status or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law. Learn more about equal employment by following this link (https://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf)
If you are an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who is unable to use our online tool to search for or to apply for jobs, you may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting our Human Resources department at 203-499-2777 or firstname.lastname@example.org