Avangrid Manager- OSW Public Affairs in Boston, Massachusetts
Manager- OSW Public Affairs
Company: AVANGRID RENEWABLES, LLC
Boston, MA, US
About AVANGRID: AVANGRID, Inc. (NYSE: AGR) aspires to be the leading sustainable energy company in the United States. Headquartered in Orange, CT with approximately $39 billion in assets and operations in 24 U.S. states, AVANGRID has two primary lines of business: Avangrid Networks and Avangrid Renewables. Avangrid Networks owns eight electric and natural gas utilities, serving more than 3.3 million customers in New York and New England. Avangrid Renewables owns and operates a portfolio of renewable energy generation facilities across the United States. AVANGRID employs approximately 7,000 people and has been recognized by Forbes and Just Capital as one of the 2021 JUST 100 companies - a list of America's best corporate citizens - and was ranked number one within the utility sector for its commitment to the environment and the communities it serves. The company supports the U.N.’s Sustainable Development Goals and was named among the World’s Most Ethical Companies in 2021 for the third consecutive year by the Ethisphere Institute. For more information, visit www.avangrid.com (https://www.avangrid.com/wps/portal/avangrid/home)
Avangrid Renewables, a subsidiary of Avangrid, Inc. (NYSE: AGR), is a leading developer, owner and operator of renewable energy facilities in the United States with an eight-gigawatt portfolio of onshore wind and solar projects across 22 states. Avangrid Renewables’ offshore wind business is pioneering this new industry with a development pipeline of five gigawatts off the East Coast. Our offshore portfolio consists of the first-in-the-nation joint venture project Vineyard Wind, which will deliver 800 MW of clean energy into Massachusetts starting in 2023; Park City Wind, an 804 MW project to serve the state of Connecticut; and Kitty Hawk Offshore Wind that has the potential to deliver 2,500 MW of clean energy into Virginia and North Carolina. We aspire to be the employer of choice by providing purposeful and challenging work revolutionizing the renewable energy industry in the United States. This role will be part of a team developing, designing, constructing and operating large scale offshore wind projects which will provide affordable, clean energy and will have a transformational impact on local communities. Avangrid Renewables’ offshore business is located in Boston, Massachusetts.
Avangrid is part of the IBERDROLA Group, a global energy pioneer with the largest renewable asset base of any company in the world. Avangrid employs approximately 7,000 people and has been recognized by Forbes and Just Capital as one of the 2021 JUST 100 companies – a list of America’s best corporate citizens – and was ranked number one within the utility sector for its commitment to the environment and the communities it serves. The company supports the U.N.’s Sustainable Development Goals and was named among the World’s Most Ethical Companies in 2021 for the third consecutive year by the Ethisphere Institute.
The Manager – Public Affairs will be responsible for building, preserving, and improving relationships with key state and federal government agencies and officials, industry associations, opinion leaders, and other relevant constituencies as well as being responsible for directing all media relations activities for the Company. The Manager – Public Affairs will lead communications, government relations, and public affairs for Avangrid Renewables’ Offshore Wind team - including Park City Wind and Commonwealth Wind projects, a portfolio of 2 GW of offshore wind.
This position will work in a multi-state geography, supporting business operations by managing the company’s high-level visibility, building, and maintaining key high-level relationships, and growing our government affairs capabilities. As the leader of the Public Affairs team, the position will report to the Project Director and will be a key external facing position.
We are looking for a dynamic leader equipped with excellent communications skills who understands political and legislative implications of Company and industry actions. This role will operate in a fast moving and dynamic environment and must balance the different varied internal and external interests. The Manager – Public Affairs will be responsible for providing management of short-term matters as well as long term strategic planning and additionally, may serve as a media spokesperson, as needed.
• Build, preserve, and improve relationships with key state and federal government agencies and officials, industry associations, main community opinion leaders, as well as with other relevant constituencies.
• Engage with key industry organizations and associations to build industry growth and consensus around key issues.
• Develop and implement state and federal policy strategies.
• Direct and manage the company’s lobbying activities, including required lobbying disclosure reports.
• Provide strategic counsel to industry campaigns, lobbyists, and consultants on company’s positions on policy development.
• Recommend, activate, track, and report on suggested memberships, contributions, lobbying activity, and other community participation by the Company.
• Advise and support project teams and executives on effective communications, including talking points, media prep, events, speeches, and other key initiatives.
• Monitor key local and national media outlets for coverage of interest to the Company. Provide strategy on proactive media outreach and reactive response plans. Serve as media spokesperson, as needed.
• Be accountable for ongoing public relations and community relations activities in the areas that we do business.
• Manage external affairs team, consisting of Cape Cod Community Liaison, External Affairs Manager, Bridgeport, CT Liaison, and CT Operations Manager.
Skills and Requirements
• Bachelor’s degree in political science, public relations, journalism, communications or another relevant field.
• Significant experience with the energy industry, preferably within the renewable energy space.
• 7+ years’ experience working in government relations, media/external affairs, public relations, and/or on staff with an elected official.
• In depth knowledge of the political landscape of New England, the Northeast U.S. and the federal government.
• Background in energy or environmental issues highly preferred.
• Understanding of legislative and regulatory process.
• Experience with crisis management.
• Excellent interpersonal and communications skills.
• The capability to establish and build solid relationships with relevant audiences at all management levels.
• Proven ability to get things done without close supervision.
• This position will be in the Company’s Boston office. Ability to travel – approx. 50%
Be a role model
Collaborate and Share
Develop Self & Others
Empower to grow
Focus to achieve results
Please note that any applicant who is not a citizen of the country of the vacancy will be subject to compliance with the applicable immigration requirements to legally work in that country
Avangrid employees may be assigned a system emergency role and in the event of a system emergency, may be required to work outside of their regular schedule/job duties. This is applicable to employees that will work in Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, and New York within AVANGRD Network and Corporate functions. This does not include those that will work for Avangrid Renewables
AVANGRID’s employment practices and policies are geared to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. At AVANGRID we provide fair and equal employment and advancement opportunities for all employees and candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, protected veteran status or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law. Learn more about equal employment by following this link (https://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf)
If you are an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who is unable to use our online tool to search for or to apply for jobs, you may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting our Human Resources department at 203-499-2777 or firstname.lastname@example.org