Southern Company Electrical Engineer (Corporate) in Birmingham, Alabama
Electrical Engineer (Corporate)
We currently have an opportunity located at our Corporate HQ location in Birmingham, AL for an Electrical Component Engineer.
Electrical Engineer (Corporate)
Southern Nuclear Operating Company’s corporate Fleet Plant Support Department provides support for the Southern Nuclear Fleet. We are seeking an experienced electrical engineer. This position is responsible for providing technical leadership and guidance in the area of electrical components. The successful candidate should have experience with electrical components, and an understanding of electrical component performance and regulations used in the nuclear plant environment is a plus. Activities involve identifying industry best practices, developing/maintaining fleet procedures, setting a strategic vision, participation in industry working groups, and troubleshooting problems.
• Bachelor of Science degree in an engineering discipline from an accredited college or university, or Professional Engineer license, is required. (Engineering Technology will not be accepted).
• Electrical Engineering preferred. Mechanical, Nuclear, Chemical, and Civil Engineering degrees will be considered based upon the candidate’s experience.
• A strong technical background in electrical engineering and working knowledge of applicable codes, standards, and regulatory requirements related to nuclear power generating facilities.
• Three (3) years of experience with electrical components is required. Five (5) or more years of experience with electrical components is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Ability to solve problems and make sound engineering judgments, based on experience and proper application of industry practices, in order to provide timely and appropriate resolutions to electrical component issues that might impact plant output, operation, or safety.
• Expertise to address operational, maintenance, and reliability issues for electrical components.
• Ability to develop long range plans and strategies for maintaining or replacing equipment to ensure reliable and economical operation and maintenance of the electrical components.
• Ability to communicate technical issues and drive problem resolution through various levels of management at the plant sites and corporate office.
• Ability to work effectively across diverse groups at the plant sites and corporate office to drive standard technical solutions to electrical system/component issues.
• Experience and knowledge to technically interface with vendors and service suppliers on procurement, repair plan development, troubleshooting, and resolving equipment performance problems.
• Ability to ensure SNC stays abreast of emerging issues and technological developments in electrical components, to work closely with site engineering, maintenance, operations, and work control personnel by providing expertise for assigned components and systems.
• The ability to assist in the development of specifications.
• Ability to initiate, coordinate and oversee multiple complex projects and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
• Ability to adapt to changing demands and priorities.
• Ability to use good judgment and make sound engineering and business decisions.
• Ability to establish and maintain strong working relationships with counterparts at each nuclear plant site.
• Excellent written and oral communications skills.
• Ability to be a team player with emphasis on team contribution.
• Self-starter who performs tasks with little supervision or oversight.
• Maintain unescorted access to all SNC facilities.
• Demonstrate Our Values – Safety First, Unquestionable Trust, Superior Performance, and Total Commitment
• Honesty, respect, fairness and integrity drive behaviors
• Keeps promises and has ethical behavior as a standard
• Dedicated to superior performance and sets high expectations
• Priorities are safety first, teamwork and diversity and continuous improvement through example
• Committed to success of employees, customers and shareholders
• Self-directed with strong initiative
• Results oriented and customer focused
MAJOR JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
This position will be responsible for the SNC electrical component performance and associated processes/procedures are developed and standardized throughout the SNC fleet. The Electrical Engineer is responsible for establishing the appropriate metrics/methods to ascertain electrical component performance, develop improvement plans, provide the technical basis for system and component improvements, assist in problem solving/troubleshooting initiatives, and provide specific technical expertise to the nuclear plant Engineering, Operations, and Maintenance groups as necessary.
Southern Nuclear's top priority is the safety and health of the public, our employees and the environment. We are committed to the safe operation of our nuclear generating facilities with equipment and systems that meet strict Nuclear Regulatory Commission safety and design regulations. Each Southern Nuclear employee is committed to instilling Institute for Nuclear Power Operations' "Principles for a Strong Nuclear Safety Culture" in every aspect of their responsibilities.
With 4.4 million customers and more than 46,000 megawatts of generating capacity, Atlanta-based Southern Company is the premier energy company serving the Southeast through its subsidiaries. A leading U.S. producer of clean, safe, reliable and affordable electricity, Southern Company owns electric utilities in four states and a growing competitive generation company, as well as fiber optics and wireless communications. Southern Company brands are known for energy innovation, excellent customer service, high reliability and retail electric prices that are below the national average. Southern Company and its subsidiaries are leading the nation's nuclear renaissance through the construction of the first new nuclear units to be built in a generation of Americans and are demonstrating their commitment to energy innovation through the development of a state-of-the-art coal gasification plant. Southern Company has been recognized by the U.S. Department of Defense and G.I. Jobs magazine as a top military employer and listed by DiversityInc as a top company for Blacks. The company received the 2012 Edison Award from the Edison Electric Institute for its leadership in new nuclear development, was named Electric Light & Power magazine's Utility of the Year for 2012 and is continually ranked among the top utilities in Fortune's annual World's Most Admired Electric and Gas Utility rankings. Visit our website at www.southerncompany.com .
Southern Company is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Job Field: Engineering
Job Type: Standard
Primary Location: Alabama-Metro Birmingham/Eastern AL-Birmingham
Operating Company: Southern Nuclear Operating Co
Job Type: Standard
Travel (Up to...): Yes, 25 % of the Time
The Energy Center - 3535 Colonnade Parkway (3535Birmingham)
3535 Colonnade Parkway
Req ID: SNC2006326
- Southern Company Jobs