Avangrid Senior Engineer - Distribution Planning in Binghamton, New York
Senior Engineer - Distribution Planning
Company: NY STATE ELECTRIC & GAS C
Binghamton, NY, US
Iberdrola is a global energy leader, the number one producer of wind power, and one of the world's biggest electricity utilities in terms of market capitalisation. The group supplies energy to almost 100 million people in dozens of countries including Spain, the United Kingdom (ScottishPower), the United States (AVANGRID), Brazil (Neoenergia), Mexico, Germany, Portugal, Italy and France, with a workforce of more than 35,000 people.
Iberdrola is leading the transition towards a sustainable energy model through its investments in renewable energy, smart grids, large-scale energy storage and digital transformation, to offer its customers the most advanced products and services. Thanks to its commitment to clean energy, Iberdrola is one of the companies with the lowest emissions and an international benchmark for its contribution to sustainability and the fight against climate change.
Collaborate on and perform distribution studies including voltage, thermal, N-1, and power factor assessments.
Analyze and assess complex DER distribution system interconnections and new customer load interconnections at numerous voltage levels.
Apply the established distribution criteria and uses sound utility engineering practices to identify deficiencies in the distribution system.
Recommends Distribution Automation devices to the system and develop designs and recommendations compliant with program objectives.
Apply the established distribution criteria for Distribution Resiliency to the system and develop designs and recommendations compliant with program objectives.
Develop thorough understanding and application of Distribution Planning tools used in day-to-day basis such as GIS (SMWeb, SmartMap), SAP, Load Data systems, etc.
Continually strive to innovate and integrate improvements to increase the precision and efficiency of distribution planning.
Strive to seek out and develop subject matter expert skills as necessary to mentor and support the team to aid in the advancement of business needs.
Collaborate and interact with internal teams and industry peers on regional and divisional activities.
Assist during storm restoration efforts.
Skills and Requirements
Education & Experience Requirements:
5+ years of experience (Industry Related)
Technical Skills and Requirements
The following skills and associated competency levels are desired of those candidates seeking a position in Distribution Planning. However, offsetting industry and other relevant technical skills will be considered for candidates without previous experience in these Distribution Planning activities (e.g. T&D Engineering, P&C, etc.).
• Theoretical Engineering knowledge: Planning, Operations and Engineering Design, Analytics, Modeling & Calculation (e.g. sym. Components, per unit, etc.), Understanding the Business Model
• Practical Engineering Experience/Application: Planning, Operations and Engineering Design, Construction, (e.g. field experience, standardization, develop business case and defend in front of stakeholders)
• Engineering documentation: Ability to adequately document and interpret engineering documentation, review and approve engineering work done by others
• Knowledge of Regulatory and Compliance Environment: Local, State and Federal Regulatory Standards and Requirements (NERC, NPCC, ISO, PUC, etc.)
Functional Job Specific Competencies
- Power System Studies - Knowledge & Interpretation of Study Assumptions and Results: (e.g. Comprehensive Area Studies, Power Flow, DER, Voltage, Contingency, phase imbalance, Power Factor correction, Short Circuit, reliability, resiliency, Capacity, distribution automation, etc.)
- Software Proficiency - Power System Analytics: (e.g. CYME, PSSE, ASPEN, etc.)
Develop Self & Others
Empower to grow
Collaborate and Share
Be a role model
Focus to achieve results
Avangrid employees may be assigned a system emergency role and in the event of a system emergency, may be required to work outside of their regular schedule/job duties. This is applicable to employees that will work in Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, and New York within AVANGRD Network and Corporate functions. This does not include those that will work for Avangrid Renewables
AVANGRID’s employment practices and policies are geared to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. At AVANGRID we provide fair and equal employment and advancement opportunities for all employees and candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, protected veteran status or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law. Learn more about equal employment by following this link (https://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf)
If you are an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who is unable to use our online tool to search for or to apply for jobs, you may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting our Human Resources department at 203-499-2777 or email@example.com