Eversource Energy Senior Engineer System Plng in Berlin, Connecticut
Check out this video and find out why our team loves to work here! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHmr45H8xZE)
Role and Scope of Position:
Performs as project leader and/or carries out assignments requiring mastery of subject matter, with extensive experience associated with modeling and planning distribution lines and distribution substation facilities in an electric power system. Exhibits strong technical skills on the design of the electric power system. Exhibits advance knowledge of utility electric power system data and model maintenance. Represents the company regarding matters in distribution planning at the state public utility commissions and various state and regional entities.
- Identifies Distribution System problems involving multiple feeders and substations, leads and conducts scenario based planning studies, evaluates alternatives and recommends appropriate solutions to ensure a reliable distribution system.
- Develop medium (2-5 year) and long (5+ year) range distribution plans involving load relief, capacity, asset related issues, and large Distributed Energy Resource integration.
- Collaborate with multiple cross-functional groups in developing a long-range planning criterion for integrating and enabling two-way communication of new technologies, including photovoltaic solar (PV), electric vehicles (EV), and battery storage.
- Prepare contingency studies for distribution networks including N-1 and N-2 analysis.
- Propose new distribution OH and UG feeders.
- Perform area wide voltage and power factor studies, recommending findings to distribution engineering
- Work with the DER planning team on wide area distribution impact of distributed generation and prepare distribution planning studies with varying penetration levels of DERs.
- Leads or conducts load forecast planning studies to determine distribution loads used in planning studies.
- Partners with other departments (Distribution Engineering, Asset Management, Standards, Transmission/Substation engineering, etc.) to prepare economic analysis for complex projects; recommends the allocation of costs for facilities used jointly with other utilities.
- Recommends project priorities for the capital construction program financial review.
- Conducts and/or manages the studies required to support the need for facilities, the evaluation of alternatives and the preferred solution contained in chapters, reports and testimony for distribution applications for proceedings before regulatory agencies.
- Provides leadership in coordinating multiple cross-functional groups, and positive guidance for engineers.
- Prepares distribution related documentation and/or testimony to support regulatory filings.
- Effective communication, support and implementation with distribution customers pertaining to proposed facilities.
- Presents recommendations and/or results to all levels of management as appropriate.
- Represents the department and the company on various committees.
- Recommends the development and/or changes as appropriate of criteria and standards for distribution planning.
·Working knowledge of the use of complex computer simulation techniques used in distribution planning, including discrete and 8760-hours simulation
· Knowledge of new technologies including but not limited to photovoltaic solar, electric vehicles, and battery
· Knowledge of the techniques for planning the expansion of distribution lines and distribution substation facilities.
· Advanced knowledge of electrical theory as applied to planning an electric power supply system.
· Advanced knowledge of distribution line design and operating practices.
· Knowledge of National, State and other planning standards.
· Good written and oral communication skills, including formal presentation.
· Excellent team skills.
· Effective interpersonal skills, ability to develop strategic partnerships.
· Ability to achieve desired results by setting high standards for self and others, and accepts responsibility for outcomes.
· Recognized by others in New England as a technical expert.
Education: Baccalaureate degree in Electrical, Mechanical or Power Technology Engineering required, Electric Power Systems preferred. Masters’ degree in Engineering preferred.
Experience: Minimum of five (5) years related experience in planning, design, and operations related to distribution line and distribution substation facilities, with a thorough knowledge of power system planning.
Licenses & Certifications: Registered Professional Engineer in Connecticut, Massachusetts or New Hampshire is desirable.
Number of Openings:
Eversource Energy is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, disability status, or protected veteran status.
VEVRRA Federal Contractor
Eversource requires all new employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 by their first day of employment.If you have any concerns regarding compliance with this requirement, you will need to discuss your concerns with Eversource’s HR department after a decision has been made about whether or not to make you a conditional offer of employment. Eversource does not require applicants to discuss vaccination status prior to receipt of a conditional offer of employment and complies with all applicable laws requiring reasonable accommodation.
Responding to emergency situations to meet customers’ needs is part of every employee’s role. If employed, you will be given an Emergency Restoration assignment. This means you may be called to assist during an emergency outside of your normal responsibilities, work hours and location.
- Eversource Energy Jobs