Eversource Energy Senior Analyst, Power Contracts in Berlin, Connecticut
Check out this video and find out why our team loves to work here!
JOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY:
This position is responsible for the proper execution of solar, wind, off-shore wind, nuclear, fuel cells, biomass and anaerobic digestor contracts. This position works closely with the contract counterparties and various Eversource departments to assure that all billing, terms and conditions of the power contracts are met. The Senior Power Contracts Analyst performs key tasks in the procurement and administration of long-term contracts for power with third party suppliers. The procurement and administration of these contracts result in payments totaling more than one billion dollars per year. The Senior Analyst is also responsible to assist in the development of strategy associated with the procurement of these contracts and in obtaining regulatory approval of these contracts as well as to provide guidance to less experienced members of the department.
Performs key tasks in the procurement of the power supply for customers of Eversource who have not selected a retail supplier. These tasks include:
Issuing and evaluating complex RFPs for the selection of wholesale supplier(s) for contracts where total payments are typically more than one billion dollars per year.
- Collaborating with state agencies and regulators in developing the supply procurement process.
- Developing regulatory filings and seeking approval of resulting contracts in a timely and accurate manner.
Performs key tasks in the development of long-term contracts with renewable (or other) generators. These tasks include:
Collaborating with state agencies and regulators in developing the process for selection of projects to receive contracts.
- Issuing complex Requests for Proposals ("RFPs") and evaluating the bids received for the selection of project(s) to receive contracts.
- Assisting in the negotiation and drafting of complex power purchase agreements resulting from the RFP process.
- Performing analysis and research for testimony before regulatory bodies on issues associated with the process development and/or approval of contracts.
- Administering approved contracts.
Participates in the development of corporate strategy associated with the procurement of energy. These tasks include:
Reviewing pending legislation and providing recommendations used to develop corporate positions.
Supporting the Director and/or Manager, Wholesale Power Contracts, in testimony and/or presentations to regulatory or other state agencies on issues associated with energy strategy.
- Providing input into the development of the integrated resource plan as required by Connecticut statute.
Administers existing power supply contracts with Eversource non-utility generators. These tasks include:
Reviewing and verifying accuracy of monthly invoicing for power purchases totaling several hundred million dollars per year.
- Complying with ISO-NE rules associated with the operation of the facilities under contract resulting from the utility's role as lead market participant for such facilities.
- Resolving contract interpretation issues that develop between the utility and the project.
- Addresses accounting requirements associated with power supply contracts. These tasks include:
- Providing documentation required per Accounting Policy Statement No. 24, Accounting for Derivative Instruments and Hedging Activities, and other accounting requests as appropriate, in a timely manner.
- Providing information regarding executed long-term contracts for inclusion in financial statements, regulatory reporting, budgets, and audit requests. Testifies before regulatory bodies.
- In depth experience with the New England wholesale electric power market
- Detailed understanding of ISO-NE market rules, policies and procedures including the NEPOOL Open Access Transmission Tariff
- Basic understanding of regulated power supply rate design and cost recovery
- In-depth understanding of regulatory and legislative requirements associated with energy procurement in both Connecticut and Massachusetts.
- General understanding of the technology and requirements associated with renewable energy
- General understanding of accounting policies and practices as the apply to power purchase contracts
- In-depth experience in engineering economics and financial analyses.
- General understanding of generation system dispatch concepts and operations
- Basic understanding of utility regulatory processes in Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Hampshire and at FERC.
Proficient in interacting with contract counterparties, various levels of management and regulatory bodies
Ability to analyze data and information, determine relevant factors associated with each situation and calculate and process data in an efficient and accurate manner.
- Ability to develop and answer data requests for government agencies
- Expertise and experience in negotiating and writing complex power purchase agreements.
- Proficiency in administering RFP processes leading to power purchase contracts with payments
- Ability to communicate effectively with legal staff regarding issues that require regulatory approval of could result from or lead to litigation.
- Ability to develop and maintain adequate control procedures to document power purchase contract provisions and control the processing of payments.
- Proficiency in spreadsheet, database and internet applications
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, business administration or related discipline and 5 years of experience or an Associate’s degree in the same disciplines as stated for the Bachelor’s Degree and 7 years of related experience.
- Master’s degree in business administration, economics or operations management is desirable.
- Five to eight years of directly related experience.
Responding to emergency situations to meet customers’ needs is part of every employee’s role. If employed, you will be given an Emergency Restoration assignment. This means you may be called to assist during an emergency outside of your normal responsibilities, work hours and location.
Number of Openings:
Eversource Energy is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, disability status, or protected veteran status.
VEVRRA Federal Contractor
- Eversource Energy Jobs