Eversource Energy Lead Substation Engineer in Berlin, Connecticut
Check out this video and find out why our team loves to work here! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHmr45H8xZE)
Role and Scope of Position:
Lead Engineer is responsible for the development, expansion, planning, design, maintenance and operation of the system and its equipment to meet the mission and objectives of the organization. In addition, this position coordinates the evaluation of system failures, and the appropriate resolutions, in order to provide support to operations on unplanned maintenance. Responsible for ensuring that the Eversource transmission and distribution systems are designed to high quality standards that provide customers with safe, reliable, competitively priced and environmentally sound electric service. This position shares accountability with peers in the strategy, development, and design of the organization’s Life Cycle Plan, a comprehensive long-term plan for the transmission/distribution system. Responsible for supervising, assigning, prioritizing and directing the work performed by other Engineers and staff.
- Supervises, coaches, and develops engineers; approves time and conducts performance reviews. Assigns, prioritizes and directs work performed by at least 2 FTE engineers.
- Responsible for the cost and performance of certain assets on the system which may include reliability analysis and trending of system events and monitoring of equipment condition.
- Responsible for the development, justification and approval of the Life Cycle Plan activities over a multi-year horizon and for ongoing projects
- Ensures that the design and specification of additions, modifications and replacements to the transmission and distribution systems are completed accurately and on time.
- Responsible for the development and approval of project scopes, engineering designs, details, material ordering, and cost estimates, as necessary.
- Responsible for hiring contract engineering firms and monitoring progress and performance. (Development of engineering scope of work, review of submittals, and approval of invoices.)
- Collaborates with other Engineers within Engineering to ensure consistency and teamwork.
- Collaborates with other departments such as System Planning, Distributed Energy Resources, Asset Management, Project Management, Project Scheduling, Siting and Permitting, and Plant Accounting, to support project planning, technical and financial approvals, scheduling, regulatory submittals and interrogatories, and project closeout.
- Provides technical support and direction to operating areas relative to system priorities, engineering guidelines and operating decisions during normal and emergency situations.
- Accountable for root-cause analysis, development and implementation of corrective actions.
- Responsible for the evaluation and selection of technology and equipment for the system.
- Responsible for the development of standards and procedures for design, operation and maintenance.
- Responsible for the development and update of equipment specifications, participation in equipment RFP process, and review/approval of manufacturers’ drawings and documentation.
- Possess the ability to communicate effectively with others, use computers effectively, and write clearly and concisely.
- Assumes the role of the Manager as required
- Expected to assist with storm duty and any other major events.
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills and attention-to-detail.
- Working knowledge of standard office computer software (e.g., Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc.).
- BS Electrical Engineering or BS Electrical Engineering Technology
- Masters degree is preferred
- Ten years of relevant experience. Experience in the technical, operational, or engineering aspects of the electrical utility industry is required.
- Supervisory experience preferred.
- PE License is preferred
- Must be available to work emergency restoration assignment as required.
- Must be available to travel between MA/CT/NH as necessary.
Set and Communicate Direction and Priorities
- Communicate priorities and goals (company, department, team)
- Show how employee’s work fits in
- Provide business updates, news
- Communicate, communicate, communicate
Build Trusting Relationships
- Role model honesty/integrity in communication and action
- Balance “getting results” with concern for individual needs
- Have honest dialogue with employees; get to know them
Manage and Develop People
- Set realistic performance objectives and expectations
- Give ongoing, honest feedback; coach for success
- Recognize good performance
- Visit crews in the field
- Remove obstacles to day-to-day performance
- Provide tools, information, training
Foster Teamwork and Cross-functional Collaboration
- Encourage cooperation/remove obstacles between work groups/departments
- Encourage collaboration/peers helping peers
Create a Diverse, Inclusive Workforce
- Ask for employee input on work process/practice improvements and before implementing change that will affect them
- Encourage ideas
- Deliver effective, positive communications about change to your team
- Exhibit a “can-do” attitude to successfully implement changes in priorities and work processes
- Respond positively to new demands or circumstances
Focus on the Customer
- Ensure that everyone on the team understands our customer promise and provides superior customer service
- Be a role model for the team on delivering superior customer service
Number of Openings:
Eversource Energy is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, disability status, or protected veteran status.
VEVRRA Federal Contractor
- Eversource Energy Jobs