Eversource Energy Engineer - Grid Modernization in Berlin, Connecticut
Check out this video and find out why our team loves to work here!
Role and Scope of Position: Engineer, Grid Modernization is responsible for directly supporting execution of the Company’s implementation plans related to modernization of the design and operation of the Company’s electric distribution system. Individual will support multi-disciplinary teams responsible for all phases of implementation including technology review and selection; defining project budget, scope and timeline; project management; internal and external reporting and tracking; and stakeholder engagement. Individual will also support efforts to research and develop plans for additional modernization opportunities including investigation and assessment of new tools and technologies relevant to the modernization of the electric distribution system.
E ssential Functions:
- Support multi-disciplinary teams across three states from distribution engineering, system planning, substation engineering, telecommunications engineering, standards, system operations, field operations, IT, regulatory, legal, community relations, corporate strategy and other groups to ensure effective and efficient implementation of grid modernization programs, including but not limited to DMS, Synergi load flow tool, and forecasting tools.
- Develop expertise in grid modernization technologies such as distribution automation, DSCADA, distributed generation interconnection, energy storage, microgrids, and distribution management systems.
- Participate in review and assessment of technology options related to grid modernization, including working with internal teams to execute competitive procurement processes.
- Develop project approval documentation with need statement, scope, description of technical solution, alternatives considered, risks and mitigations, budget and timeline
- Develop tools and methods to process and organize data from multiple sources in order to design and verify engineering models and databases.
- Work collaboratively across the organization to gain a thorough knowledge of the Company’s strengths, weaknesses and opportunities in order to support cross-functional efforts to develop and refine grid modernization strategic plans.
- Support internal and external tracking and reporting requirements associated with grid modernization programs, including reporting of metrics related to the achievement of project benefits.
- Investigate new technologies and tools in the industry and assess the relevance of and benefit to the Company’s grid modernization efforts.
Technical Knowledge/Skill: Thorough understanding of electrical engineering concepts such as power flow, stability voltage regulation, power factor, losses etc.; experience modeling electric distribution systems; ability to manipulate data from large datasets to provide specific engineering results; familiarity with grid modernization technologies; familiarity with electric distribution operational systems such as DMS, OMS, SCADA, distribution automation, etc…;demonstrated competency and proficiency in oral and written communications. Ideal candidate is customer driven; displays initiative as a change agent with a can-do attitude; accepts responsibility and accountable; participates in and facilitates team effectiveness;
Education: Requires a Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering or Bachelor’s degree in Engineering Technology (MS in Engineering or MBA preferred)
Experience : Minimum of three (3) years in the technical, operational, or engineering aspects of the electrical utility industry.
Licenses & Certifications: None.
Emergency Response: Responding to emergency situations to meet customers’ needs is part of every employee’s role. If employed, you will be given an Emergency Restoration assignment. This means you may be called to assist during an emergency outside of your normal responsibilities, work hours and location
Working Conditions: Travel throughout the service territory is frequently required. Work is performed primarily in an office environment which requires standing, sitting, walking, climbing stairs, and writing and typing.
Problem Solving & Complexity: Demonstrated ability to solve complex problems and remain self-directed is required. Work includes technical writing, editing, planning, evaluating, interpreting, organizing, consulting, analyzing, documenting, specifying, coordinating, implementing and presenting. This role works in an environment that often requires the performance of multiple simultaneous activities, where deadlines need to be met and work is performed under pressure while involving significant business commitments and results.
Physical Aspects: Daily use of a computer and other office type equipment.
Number of Openings:
Eversource Energy is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, disability status, or protected veteran status.
VEVRRA Federal Contractor
- Eversource Energy Jobs