American Electric Power Service Mechanic-D-Balmorhea in Balmorhea, Texas
NOTE: THIS POSITION CAN BE LOCATED IN BALMORHEA OR FT. DAVIS
Assist in performing work involved with the installation, rearrangement, maintenance, operation, removal, and inspection of electrical transmission and distribution facilities; drive and operate line trucks and associated auxiliary equipment. All job duties apply to overhead and underground equipment and facilities.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS are listed below:
- Assist with the assembly, installation, maintenance, removal and competently inspect underground facilities, conductors, fixtures, structures and other associated equipment on de-energized and grounded overhead and underground facilities under direct or immediate supervision.
Demonstrate the ability to competently perform ground person duties under immediate or direct supervision as skill level dictates.
Assist with loading, unloading, handling, maintaining, installing and removing poles, towers and structures.
After completion of D-100, or equivalent experience, the employee must demonstrate the ability to operate Company equipment (with exception of digger/derricks and aerial lift vehicles), climb poles, ladders and structures, and work on de-energized conductors and equipment. Also, may work on conductors and equipment energized up to 260 volts under direct supervision.
After completion of D-200, or equivalent experience, operate digger/derrick and aerial devices, under immediate supervision as skill level dictates. Also, under immediate supervision of a higher classification, may work on conductors and equipment energized up to 260 volts.
- Assemble and install Line Material and hardware under direct or immediate supervision
Use and store hand lines, tie knots and demonstrate a basic working knowledge with ropes and rigging equipment inspection and use.
Splice primary and secondary overhead wires using the proper tools, hardware and equipment (including crimping and compression tools).
After completion of D-200, or equivalent experience, under direct supervision, the employee may operate cutouts, line switches, reclosers, and other sectionalizing devices, refuse line and transformer devices. During this time frame, the employee may progress from direct supervision to immediate and finally general supervision as skill level dictates.
After completion of D-300, or equivalent experience, test de-energized overhead lines and equipment install and remove personal protective grounds under immediate supervison.
- Inspect and maintain tools, equipment and work area in a safe, clean and orderly fashion
Identify, inspect, use and maintain all classes of rubber gloves and sleeves(PIPE), and insulating blankets, hoses and covers(IPE).
Inspect, maintain, organize, operate and stock company vehicles, equipment and tools.
Perform housekeeping duties as assigned.
Report irregularities and abnormal conditions.
Safely execute pole top rescue and bucket truck rescue processes as training is completed
Protect or control work area.
- Set and remove barricades, flags, signs, cones and associated equipment.
- Maintain accurate records and submit accurate reports as required.
Correctly read and record information and registered readings on analog or digital Kilowatt-hour meters.
Complete Monthly Apprentice Cards and submit to local supervision for review.
- Perform similar or less skilled work as assigned.
The following reference is provided as a guideline for persons responsible for directing the duties and responsibilities of assigned personnel, to assist in the safety and development of employees, and is not intended to limit assignment of work or the degree of supervision under all operating conditions:
DIRECT SUPERVISION – When a qualified person is working with hands-on with the person performing the designated task.
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISION – When a qualified person is near the structure/equipment and is in constant visual and/or verbal contact to the person performing the designated task.
GENERAL SUPERVISION – An employee of higher classification, knowledgeable of the task at hand and not necessarily at the job site.
QUALIFIED PERSON – Line Mechanic or Supervisor who is knowledgeable of the task or work to be performed and is capable of performing the appropriate emergency rescue.
Auto req ID:
Education: High school diploma or GED
Experience: No experience required
Licenses/Certifications: Must possess and maintain a valid state driver's license. Employee shall obtain appropriate licensing as required by federal and/or state law prior to the end of the designated probationary period. Must acquire CDL beginners permit within 60 days.
1) Must have the ability and desire to acquire the necessary knowledge and skills to perform the duties and/or responsibilities of the key job (Line Mechanic A) in this family and be qualified through demonstration, examination and/or performance appraisal as determined by the Company.
2) Must acquire within such time frame as determined by the Company, the qualifications necessary to perform the duties of the next higher classification in the line of progression, or vacate the current job classification.
3) Successful completion of the Construction and Skilled Trades (CAST) selection test is required for this position. A review of Employment Testing Information, Test-Taking Tips, and the CAST Practice Test may be helpful. A link to these materials may be found at AEP.com Careers by selecting Employment testing. A physical abilities assessment is also required for this position.
Physical demand level is Not Yet Determined
Equal Opportunity Employer | Minorities/Females/Disability/Vets
American Electric Power
- American Electric Power Jobs