Avangrid Principal Engineer -Protection & Control in Augusta, Maine
Principal Engineer -Protection & Control
Company: CENTRAL MAINE POWER CO
Augusta, ME, US
About AVANGRID: AVANGRID, Inc. (NYSE: AGR) aspires to be the leading sustainable energy company in the United States. Headquartered in Orange, CT with approximately $39 billion in assets and operations in 24 U.S. states, AVANGRID has two primary lines of business: Avangrid Networks and Avangrid Renewables. Avangrid Networks owns eight electric and natural gas utilities, serving more than 3.3 million customers in New York and New England. Avangrid Renewables owns and operates a portfolio of renewable energy generation facilities across the United States. AVANGRID employs approximately 7,000 people and has been recognized by Forbes and Just Capital as one of the 2021 JUST 100 companies - a list of America's best corporate citizens - and was ranked number one within the utility sector for its commitment to the environment and the communities it serves. The company supports the U.N.’s Sustainable Development Goals and was named among the World’s Most Ethical Companies in 2021 for the third consecutive year by the Ethisphere Institute. For more information, visit www.avangrid.com (https://www.avangrid.com/wps/portal/avangrid/home)
Reports to Supervisor of Intertie Protection. Responsible for managing external contractors. This roll will participate in the creation of policies, procedures, document standards and engineering activities for electric transmission and substation system protection to ensure safe, timely and efficient system operation. This role is responsible for Transmission and Distribution customer interconnections of the business and cross op-co involvement of various programs. Will act as an advisor to management and an external representative to AVANGRID.
Responsible for the design, configuration, maintenance and renewal of automation, data collection, protection & control equipment subsystems on AVANGRID and it’s owned subsidiaries: CMP (Central Maine Power), NYSEG (New York State Electric & Gas), Rochester Gas & Electric (RG&E), The United Illuminating Company (UI), etc. AVANGRID’s electric delivery system has approximately 9,000 miles of transmission lines and 1,000 substations.
Engineering activities for electric transmission and substation system protection projects to ensure safe, timely and cost-effective completion. Conduct analysis develop estimates and apply engineering standards and criteria to drive the completion of projects. Coordinate with other departments, vendors, and consultants in order to complete projects in a timely and cost-effective manner.
Ensure all protection system designs meet applicable company, local, state, and national codes and standards (NESC, FERC, NERC, NPCC, NYISO, ISO-NE, NY PSC, ME PUC, CT PUC, etc.).
• Engineering Review, Process Management and Project Management
• Perform engineering design, estimating, and analysis of the electric transmission and substation protection systems in support of the capital construction programs. Perform engineering calculations and analysis. Review and approve detailed protection system designs, including settings, developed both internally and by engineering consultants.
• Review and approve work of internal engineers and engineering contractors who provide protection engineering and design services to ensure compliance with company standards, specifications, and contract requirements. Develop technical specifications, standards, contracts and purchase orders. Direct engineering contractors and consultants performing system automation & integration roles.
• Review of large customer interconnections and distributed energy resource interconnections to substations, transmission circuits and distribution circuits.
• Engineering design, estimating, and analysis of the electric transmission and substation protection systems in support of the capital construction programs. Engineering calculations and analysis. Review and approve detailed protection system designs, including settings, developed both internally and by engineering consultants.
• Design and maintenance of distribution protection systems existing outside of substations.
• Development of technical specifications, standards, contracts and purchase orders. Ensure efficient use of funds.
• Serve as mentor in the technical development of engineers and cross-department employees.
• Represent the company on regional and national committees. Represent the company on Joint Utilities Interconnection Working Group in NY.
• Communicate with and act as a company witness to state regulatory bodies.
• Travel to worksites on an as needed basis.
• Master’s Degree in Engineering.
• Registered Professional Engineer or ability to obtain certification.
Skills and Requirements
Education & Experience Required:
• 15 years of experience in Engineering and 10 years of experience in Protection & Control.
• Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering.
• Master’s Degree in Engineering preferred.
• Advanced knowledge of power system analysis and fundamentals of equipment protection.
• Knowledge of national and international standards, regulations, and compliance requirements associated with power system protection.
• Knowledge of IEEE-1584
• Knowledge of Connecticut, Maine, and New York state regulations.
• Strong analytical, problem-solving, interpersonal, and communication skills.
• Strong Electrical Design Experience.
• Proficiency and fluency in power system protection theory, application, standards, design, test, commissioning, and analysis.
Develop Self & Others
Empower to grow
Collaborate and Share
Be a role model
Focus to achieve results
Avangrid employees may be assigned a system emergency role and in the event of a system emergency, may be required to work outside of their regular schedule/job duties. This is applicable to employees that will work in Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, and New York within AVANGRD Network and Corporate functions. This does not include those that will work for Avangrid Renewables
AVANGRID’s employment practices and policies are geared to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. At AVANGRID we provide fair and equal employment and advancement opportunities for all employees and candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, protected veteran status or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law. Learn more about equal employment by following this link (https://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf)
If you are an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who is unable to use our online tool to search for or to apply for jobs, you may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting our Human Resources department at 203-499-2777 or email@example.com