Avangrid Lead Engineer - Transmission Planning in Augusta, Maine
Lead Engineer - Transmission Planning
Company: CENTRAL MAINE POWER CO
Augusta, ME, US
Iberdrola is a global energy leader, the number one producer of wind power, and one of the world's biggest electricity utilities in terms of market capitalisation. The group supplies energy to almost 100 million people in dozens of countries including Spain, the United Kingdom (ScottishPower), the United States (AVANGRID), Brazil (Neoenergia), Mexico, Germany, Portugal, Italy and France, with a workforce of more than 35,000 people.
Iberdrola is leading the transition towards a sustainable energy model through its investments in renewable energy, smart grids, large-scale energy storage and digital transformation, to offer its customers the most advanced products and services. Thanks to its commitment to clean energy, Iberdrola is one of the companies with the lowest emissions and an international benchmark for its contribution to sustainability and the fight against climate change.
$5,000.00 sign-on bonus available to external applicant hired.
Multiple locations: Augusta, ME ; Orange ,CT
Collaborate, perform, and lead reliability and/or economic driven studies including voltage, thermal, PV, transfer limit, short circuit, and stability assessments.
Analyze and assess complex transmission systems at numerous voltage levels. Document and communicate results and recommendations as appropriate including data manipulation, report writing, and summary presentations.
Continually strive to innovate and integrate improvements to increase the precision and efficiency of transmission planning.
Strive to seek out and develop subject matter expert skills as necessary to mentor and support the team to aid in the advancement of business needs.
Collaborate and interact with internal teams and industry peers on regional activities (e.g. NPCC, ISO’s, etc.).
Develop and apply a thorough understanding of various planning criteria, guidelines, standards (e.g. NERC, NPCC, etc.) and analysis software packages such as PSS/E, TARA, and ASPEN.
Participate in transmission and substation site inspections; attend industry workshops, training, and user group meetings as needs arise.
Skills and Requirements
BS EE / Energy systems/ Power Systems required, with additional consideration given to applicants with Advanced Degrees or Certifications (e.g. MSEE, PE, etc.)
7+ years of experience (Industry Related)
The following skills and associated competency levels are desired of those candidates seeking a position in Transmission Planning. However, offsetting industry and other relevant technical skills will be considered for candidates without previous experience in these Transmission Planning activities (e.g. T&S Engineering, P&C, etc.).
• Theoretical Engineering knowledge: Planning, Operations and Engineering Design, Analytics, Modeling & Calculation (e.g. sym. Components, per unit, etc.), Understanding the Business Model - (Advanced)
• Practical Engineering Experience/Application: Planning, Operations and Engineering Design, Construction, (e.g. field experience, standardization, develop business case and defend in front of stakeholders) - (Advanced)
• Engineering documentation: Ability to adequately document and interpret engineering documentation, review and approve engineering work done by others - (Advanced)
• Knowledge of Regulatory and Compliance Environment: Local, State and Federal Regulatory Standards and Requirements (NERC, NPCC, ISO, PUC, etc.) - (Advanced)
Functional Job Specific Competencies:
Power System Studies - Knowledge & Interpretation of Study Assumptions and Results: (e.g. Power Flow, Stability, Short Circuit, etc.) - (Advanced)
Software Proficiency - Power System Analytics: (e.g. PSSE, TARA, ASPEN, Enfuzion) - (Expert)
• Utilize knowledge to influence and guide department engineers.
• Provide technical leadership in complex projects that have a wide impact on the department
• Mentor, develop and support team in technical skills
• Ability to collaborate across departments
• Liaison/ direct contractors on company policy, standards and best practices
• Work independently with little supervision
Develop Self & Others
Empower to grow
Collaborate and Share
Be a role model
Focus to achieve results
Avangrid employees may be assigned a system emergency role and in the event of a system emergency, may be required to work outside of their regular schedule/job duties. This is applicable to employees that will work in Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, and New York within AVANGRD Network and Corporate functions. This does not include those that will work for Avangrid Renewables
AVANGRID’s employment practices and policies are geared to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. At AVANGRID we provide fair and equal employment and advancement opportunities for all employees and candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, protected veteran status or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law. Learn more about equal employment by following this link (https://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf)
If you are an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who is unable to use our online tool to search for or to apply for jobs, you may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting our Human Resources department at 203-499-2777 or email@example.com