Avangrid Engineer - Substation Engineering in Augusta, Maine
Engineer - Substation Engineering
Company: CENTRAL MAINE POWER CO
Augusta, ME, US
Iberdrola is a global energy leader, the number one producer of wind power, and one of the world's biggest electricity utilities in terms of market capitalisation. The group supplies energy to almost 100 million people in dozens of countries including Spain, the United Kingdom (ScottishPower), the United States (AVANGRID), Brazil (Neoenergia), Mexico, Germany, Portugal, Italy and France, with a workforce of more than 35,000 people.
Iberdrola is leading the transition towards a sustainable energy model through its investments in renewable energy, smart grids, large-scale energy storage and digital transformation, to offer its customers the most advanced products and services. Thanks to its commitment to clean energy, Iberdrola is one of the companies with the lowest emissions and an international benchmark for its contribution to sustainability and the fight against climate change.
This job reports to the Unit Manager and will be responsible for electric substation design in Maine, specifically Projects requiring interconnects with small generators across the state of Maine. The electric delivery system in Maine has approximately 315 substations.
Performs electrical engineering for the updating of distribution substations need for Distributed Generator interconnects. Responsibilities include project planning and development of scope, estimating, economic evaluation, analysis of alternatives, and specification of equipment.
Responsible for department compliance with industry and company safety standards and policy.
Responsible and accountable for adherence to federal and state regulatory requirements, including FERC, NERC, ISO-NE, and ME PUC as they apply to Transmission, Substation and Distribution engineering.
• Provide engineering oversight and coordination support for various Company departments and customers.
• Perform complex engineering analysis based on individual know how and experience or set standards to determine equipment ratings, insulation coordination, grounding and lightning protection requirements, etc.
• Provide technical expertise, direction and leadership for the substation maintenance technicians and electric field operations substation maintenance personnel to ensure the safe and reliable delivery of energy related services.
• Develop design and construction standards, determine installation and operating requirements, and evaluate new products and vendors.
• Provide equipment application and maintenance recommendations.
• Perform additional activities as requested: maintenance program development, maintenance specifications, equipment assessment, technical support, maintenance practice development and equipment specs for substation equipment (power transformers, circuit breakers, instrument transformers, disconnect switches, regulators, etc.
• Participate in professional societies and industry associations to stay current with technological changes and advances this is for self-development and to keep teams within the organization informed.
• Provide preliminary designs and estimates in support of capital budget plans and System Planning studies using his/her technical expertise.
• Knowledge and skill level in Safety aspects both regulatory and company standards as per OSHA standards and accident prevention guidelines set for the industry.
Skills and Requirements
Education & Experience Required:
• Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 5 years relevant experience required.
• Thorough knowledge of power system engineering.
• Knowledge about the different national and international standards, and regulations and compliance requirements associated with power system engineering.
• Be capable of learning or have experience with power system engineering computer applications desired: CADD, PSSE, PSLF, Aspen, etc.
• General knowledge of project management, supervisory principles, theories and techniques.
• Experience in distributed generation systems.
• Familiar with concepts of systems Protection and Control.
• Registered Professional Engineer or ability to obtain certification in ME.
• Strong analytical, problem-solving, interpersonal, and communication skills.
• Demonstrated project management skills.
• Proficiency and fluency in substation engineering theory, application, standards, design, test, commissioning, and analysis.
Develop Self & Others
Empower to grow
Collaborate and Share
Be a role model
Focus to achieve results
Avangrid employees may be assigned a system emergency role and in the event of a system emergency, may be required to work outside of their regular schedule/job duties. This is applicable to employees that will work in Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, and New York within AVANGRD Network and Corporate functions. This does not include those that will work for Avangrid Renewables
AVANGRID’s employment practices and policies are geared to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. At AVANGRID we provide fair and equal employment and advancement opportunities for all employees and candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, protected veteran status or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law. Learn more about equal employment by following this link (https://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf)
If you are an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who is unable to use our online tool to search for or to apply for jobs, you may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting our Human Resources department at 203-499-2777 or firstname.lastname@example.org