Natural Rural Electric Cooperative Sr Director Workday Platform Strategy & Operations in Arlington, Virginia
Responsible for leading the development and implementation of the Workday Platform strategy and roadmap for NRECA’s implementation of Workday HCM and Finance systems and other Finance and HCM software as a service systems (SaaS) that integrate with Workday such as ADP (payroll), Palette (Accounts Payable OCR and workflow) and Chrome River (Board of Directors Expense Reports). The Director will be responsible for leading NRECA’s Workday Ownership Workgroup (WOW) team, which is comprised of managers from HR, Finance and IT who are stakeholders and product owners of Workday. The Director will also hold regular meetings with the Workday Executive Steering Committee (SteerCo) and provide the SteerCo with expert advice regarding Workday strategy and keep the SteerCo informed about the status of ongoing projects and initiatives as well as the production status of the Workday Platform. The Director will also be responsible for leading and managing the Finance Workday Operations Team of three professional staff dedicated to supporting the Workday Platform within Finance.
This position provides strategic leadership, organizational vision and day-to-day operational oversight of all aspects of the Workday HCM and Finance systems. This position must build strong and productive relationships with cross-functional partners, leverage strengths within the association to achieve best possible results and become a trusted business and technology adviser.
This position reports directly to the Senior VP of Finance and will also meet on a regular basis with the Senior VP of Human Resources who is the other project sponsor of the Workday Platform.
Purpose and Mission
Leadership – Leads the Workday Finance Operations unit within Finance. Sets clear expectations, goals and objectives; provides timely feedback; coaches and manages the professional development of the team. Demonstrates NRECA’s Management Performance Standards: Shape the Future, Optimize Resources, Enable Achievement, Inspire the Team, Build Relationships and Invest in Employees to create a constructive work environment and engage employees in our mission.
Executive Steering Committee – Provides expert advice to the Project Sponsors and Executive Steering Committee regarding the development and implementation of the Workday Platform strategy and roadmap. Manages these relationships by:
• Collaborates with senior leadership to define the Portfolio and Roadmap including working with business owners to strategize options and develop strong, well-articulated business cases.
• Providing regular communication on the health, status, risks & issues of the Workday platform and other Finance and HR SaaS systems.
• Partnering with the business to ensure the program meets business objectives.
• Partnering with the business to obtain resources, make decisions and prioritize tasks to best meet the program timeline.
• Resolving conflicts and/or priority discrepancies.
o Resolution of low and medium risks & issues in the program that can be handled internally
o Reporting and potential escalation of high risks & issues in the program
• Collaborates with leadership to establish and implement relevant metrics for monitoring and reporting Workday HCM and Finance Platform performance pertaining to active projects, roadmap status, production support, etc.
Workday Ownership Workgroup (WOW) – Leads the WOW team and provides the team with expert advice and regular communications on the health, status, risks and issues with the Workday Platform including other integrated Finance and HR SaaS systems. Partners and collaborates with the members of the WOW team and their staff to strategize options and develop strong, well-articulated business cases. Collaborates with the WOW team and their staff to ensure the successful fulfillment and execution of the WOW team’s responsibilities.
The WOW team is responsible for the following activities:
• Developing the Workday roadmap
• Prioritizing new enhancements including the development of reports and dashboards
• Developing and overseeing Workday change management protocol
• Overseeing the standardization and publication of business processes, procedures and practices across program and project teams
• Monitoring and reviewing Workday security access
• Resolving or further escalating project and program risks & issues
• Overseeing cross-functional projects
• Overseeing the bi-annual Workday upgrades
• Overseeing end user training
• Overseeing Workday Change Management communication activities.
Workday Platform Management – Provides strategic leadership, organizational vision and day-to-day operational oversight of all aspects the Workday HCM and Finance Platform and all the HR and Finance SaaS systems that integrate with Workday.
• Directs, manages, and provides leadership for the Workday Finance Operations Team. Monitors departmental work requests, allocates staff resources, sets direction, inspires innovation, fosters competency development, cross-training and ensures that staff skills keep pace with NRECA needs. Ensures team members develop and maintain technical knowledge in specialized areas, remaining up to date on current trends and best practices
• Oversees the Workday production tenant and responds to production issues by assigning appropriate resources to participate in resolution activities. Performs root cause analysis on problems, implementing corrective actions that achieve operational effectiveness.
• Manages the relationship with NRECA vendor partners that support the Workday Platform (e.g. Workday, ADP, Palette) including the oversight of release management and implementation processes. Participate in Workday Community/user forums.
• Partners with Finance and HR leadership and Workday Functional Administrators in developing effective business cases for systems improvements and/or alternative new systems, clearly articulating non-financial and financial benefits and cost. Facilitates prioritization of strategic initiatives and planning from initiation to a successful completion, within budget, on time and meeting requirements and expectations.
• Responsible for the proper security and disposal of any confidential information that he or she may possess in the course of performing this position's job duties, as well as ensuring staff compliance with security protocols in accordance with NRECA’s Personnel and Administrative Policy and HIPAA Privacy and Security Policies and Procedures Manuals.
• Ensures compliance with regulatory requirements for securing and protecting data (i.e. HIPPA, Sarbanes Oxley, etc.). Supports Business Continuity and IT disaster plans and testing
• Direct Reports to this Position: 3