Natural Rural Electric Cooperative Sr. Advisor, New Business - Employee Benefits in Arlington, Virginia
This position functions as a relationship manager, project manager and business analyst supporting the critical core I&FS mission of business growth and development. The Senior Advisor is responsible for developing and delivering professional proposal responses relative to NRECA's group and retirement products. This position serves as project lead throughout the new business quotation and implementation process, ensuring customer satisfaction from the point of the original inquiry through the point the plan is fully active. This person is also charged with supporting the development and retention of current business by providing guidance and support on significant benefit and plan changes. This position also provides coordination and oversight to plan terminations and de-conversions.
Purpose and Mission
Support I&FS business development efforts
• Serve as primary point of contact for field staff and cooperative throughout the proposal process:
• Communicate available benefit and plan design information.
• Develop an understanding of the cooperative’s goals and needs for their benefit programs.
• Advise the cooperative of the information required by NRECA in order to develop a complete proposal response and the relevance of the required components.
• Recommend and create plan design and pricing alternatives that balance cooperative employee benefit budgets and overall employee benefit objectives.
• Prepare detailed side-by-side benefits analysis from summary plan descriptions and schedule of benefits documents
• Provide the cooperative with progress reports throughout the proposal development process.
• Conduct appropriate follow up after delivery of the proposal, to further discuss alternate plan or design strategies and gauge the cooperative’s receptiveness to the proposed benefit program.
• Coordinate and assimilate key information relative to NRECA’s employee benefit products:
• Work with underwriting and actuarial team to provide technical and demographic information needed to develop appropriate pricing based on the specific market dynamics and risks relevant to each business opportunity.
• Identify and communicate with appropriate subject matter experts (product management and development, legal, compliance, underwriting and actuarial), advising them of relevant information needed and the associated deadlines.
• Assimilate and maintain key data and information in a robust knowledge database for use in future proposal responses.
• Develop and deliver formal proposal responses to cooperative management and/or third party consultants in order to execute the formal pursuit of new business opportunities:
• Assist in the determination of the key messaging and ensure key messages are properly highlighted and emphasized in the proposal response.
• Ensure that all responses consistently communicate key strategic message(s) as defined by I&FS management.
• Review and analyze rates, benefit designs and other critical information obtained from internal departments for accurateness, clarity and completeness.
• Identify and acquire the appropriate support materials needed to complement the proposal response.
• Coordinate the timely assembly and delivery of the formal proposal response, including travel to cooperatives for in person presentation of proposal where necessary.
• Serve as project lead throughout the new business implementation process:
• Construct action plans, conduct implementation meetings and monitor progress of key milestones throughout the onboarding process
• Ensure applicable enrollment materials are provided to the cooperative.
• Confirm funding arrangement, plan design, , terms of rates and plan exceptions.
• Submit confirmation of new business request through Benefit Plan Rating or RSP.
• Prepare, coordinate or support presentations to cooperative management and employees in order to facilitate employer and employee education meetings.
• Ensure completed enrollment information is submitted to NRECA (and distributed to appropriate areas).
• Ensure timely delivery of ID cards and other relevant materials and information.
• Work with Field Staff and I&FS management to develop strategies and identify opportunities and challenges relative to business development:
• Conduct reviews of new business opportunities and potential threats to existing business.
• Analyze market dynamics relevant to opportunities/threats.
• Assist in development of a strategy to promote NRECA advantages
• Identify and pursue opportunities for business growth.
• Compile a specific list of potential business opportunities and threats.
• Assist in the development of a communication strategy.
• Provide appropriate follow up and specialized guidance to ensure that potential opportunities and threats have been identified and addressed.
Support I&FS efforts to maintain current business.
• Provide technical guidance on benefit changes and pricing/funding models to cooperatives with existing business:
• Assist with the modeling of benefit design options and rates.
• Discuss the impacts, pros and cons of benefit design alternatives.
• Provide background information on product offerings, funding arrangements or industry trends (Consumer Driven Health Plans, Health Savings Accounts, Health Reimbursement Arrangements, Multi-year arrangements, Affordable Care Act).
• Consult with cooperative management, third party consultants and union/ non-union insuance committee representatives to assess current benefits and funding mechanism. Offer guidance on ways to migate benefit cost trends.
• Support the distribution and communication of annual renewal information to cooperatives with existing products:
• Coordinate with Marketing Communications to arrange distribution of materials to experience-rated cooperatives and to I&FS Field Representatives.
• Field follow up inquiries regarding contents of annual renewals.
• Identify cases where renewal notification may be generating potential threats to existing business.
• Facilitate requests for rate tier changes and co-op splits and mergers:
• Communicate requests to Underwriting and other affected areas.
• Provide appropriate follow through to ensure request is completed to satisfaction of the cooperative.
Support business growth and development through analysis of the group insurance market and competition.
• Collect and analyze market and competitive intelligence to provide guidance to marketing and program development.
• Gather, evaluate, and report market intelligence gained throughout the proposal and renewal processes.
• Assist in the identification of possible strengths and vulnerabilities of the competition within designated regions.
• Work with internal management and external consultants to evaluate and compare the professionalism and effectiveness of NRECA Group Insurance proposal responses to our competitors in the marketplace.
• Maintain current knowledge of industry trends by routinely reading and studying industry publications and electronic communications, and attending industry conferences and seminars to build and maintain knowledge and expertise in the area of group insurance products.
• Provide excellent customer service for employees/internal customers and those individuals outside NRECA such as cooperative members, vendors, etc. (100% of the time throughout all job activities)
• Maintain proper security and disposal of any confidential information that is possessed in the course of performing this position's job duties, in accordance with NRECA’s Personnel & Administrative Policy and HIPAA Privacy and Security Policies & Procedures Manuals. (100% of the time throughout all job activities).
• Responsible for the proper security and disposal of any confidential information that he or she may possess in the course of performing this position’s job duties, in accordance with NRECA’s Personnel & Administrative Policy and HIPAA Privacy and Security Policies & Procedures Manuals.