Natural Rural Electric Cooperative Specialist Investment Technology & Trading in Arlington, Virginia
Responsible for managing the investment technology operations and equity trading for RE Advisers and the Homestead Funds. Serve as the subject matter expert for all investment related technology to include implementations, upgrades and optimization of usage of various systems. Serves as the equity trading lead, working with Portfolio Managers and Analysts to ensure all equity trades are executed efficiently, in a timely manner and with best execution. Manage the broker research budget and payments. Assist in Proxy Voting and Client Reporting process.
Purpose and Mission
• Product leader on behalf of RE Advisers and Homestead Funds on any investment system, including but not limited to; Charles River, Factset, Bloomberg, Evestment, Morningstar and ISS. Serve as Subject Matter Expert (SME) for trading, attribution and settlement systems. Develop and maintain working knowledge of all investment and operations workflows and processes.
• Research new innovations in the financial software industry for any future benefits to REA and make recommendations for system upgrades and replacements.
• Understand technical requirements, data needs and compliance rules within the Charles River trading system. Develop with outside support, custom reporting and monitoring capabilities. Define and revise workflows as new developments are made within the system, or as REA’s portfolio management and trading needs change. Troubleshoot technical and non technical problems within all investment systems.
• Execute equity trades on behalf of RE Advisers and Homestead Funds. Monitor equity markets to identify and capture trading opportunities. Build relationships with the equity Portfolio Management team and sell-side broker dealers. Assist with the management of the CSA budget and bundled research arrangements. Minimize risk while re-balancing portfolios, Create and enhance processes for best execution reporting. Work with front and back office personnel to resolve any trading issues
• Prioritize work demands such that all equity trading needs are met on a daily basis. Communicate conflicts of workloads to VP Investment Operations.
• Work with operations team to achieve organizational goals by fostering a culture of high-engagement and demonstrating effective communication Build strong relationships with colleagues within REA and NRECA and comply with staffing policies and procedures.
• Comply with the policies and procedures of RE Investment Corporation, RE Advisers Corporation and Homestead Funds, Inc., which includes but is not limited to; the rules and regulations under the Securities Act of 1933, Securities Exchange Act of 1934, Investment Company Act of 1940 and USA Patriot Act of 2001. Fulfill all annual regulatory and firm wide educational requirements and FINRA continuing education as required.
• Work with RE Advisers staff to build enhanced workflows and deeper knowledge of investment technology usage. Assess and develop business process improvements within the investment and operation teams.
• Manage trade processing operations for RE Advisers. Serve as the liaison with the Portfolio Managers, Analysts, Broker-Dealers and SIAs to ensure that current trading procedures are being followed and trades are being settled accurately and in a timely manner. Responsible for analyzing effectiveness of trading procedures and recommending improvements as necessary. Including development and on-going enhancement of applicable policies and procedures to insure proper control points are in place.
• Manage, monitor, and modify budgets for investment related technology on an on-going basis for the Homestead Funds, RE Advisers, and RE Investment Corporation. Ensure all contracts are up-to-date and work to eliminate redundant resources and contain upward pressure on budgets.
• Work in conjunction with other Investments Division managers to maintain an effective, productive, and cohesive management team. Participate in weekly management meetings to review workflow, discuss business priorities, and provide updates on the progress of various projects.
• Serve on working groups or committees including but not limited to the Broker Committee.
• Conduct quarterly Business Continuity Planning (BCP) for all Technology and trading systems. Assist in the development of BCP enhancements.
• Lead technology enhancements related to new products or personnel, new employee on-boarding for Operations and Investment staff with respect to system access, permissioning, and hardware requirements..