National Grid Energy Efficiency Product Developer in Albany, New York
Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities, and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. We connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers, reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both ourselves and our business.
National Grid is hiring a Product Developer for our New York Customer Energy Management department in Albany, NY.
To drive the development of new product and service offerings in the areas of energy efficiency, demand response and decarbonization of heat efforts in the residential, commercial, and low/moderate income customer segments. The Product Developer will be a member of the Customer Energy Management (CEM) New York’s Growth team. Product Developers will be specifically charged with identifying technologies and implementation partnerships that can support the development of novel approaches to helping customers to achieve energy management goals, as well as with the management and execution of pilots designed to validate identified approaches. Successful pilots will demonstrate that a new product or service offering is scalable, cost-effective, and works within the CEM business model, at which point they will be handed off to complementary internal delivery organizations for full-scale commercialization and deployment. There will be a focus on using demand side management (DSM) for gas and electric system peak needs, use of data and modeling to improve performance, offerings for low and moderate income customers, supporting corporate and state climate goals, and exploring new business models.
Responsibilities (including, but not limited to):
• Generates a pipeline of proposed pilots and programs in support of meeting customer, electric and gas system, and market need in the Company’s existing portfolio of CEM products and service offerings. Leads the discovery phase of new product development to ascertain the value and feasibility of new ideas, prioritizing the highest value ideas for further development.
• Identifies, develops and grows the external relationships and partnerships necessary to drive external market development of innovative customer offerings, with a focus on ensuring appropriate value creation and value capture opportunities for National Grid. Includes managing vendors or contractors who are executing a pilot or demonstration of new technology or business models.
• Supports the Customer Energy Management strategy, policy and planning function, informing the team on developments in business models, data and modeling, and technologies.
• Develops viable ideas into new pilots or programs. Includes working closely not only with supporting staff from within National Grid’s Product Growth organization, Procurement, Legal, Regulatory, IT and Advanced Data Analytics, but also virtual team members pulled from National Grid’s Innovation Center of Excellence and external consultancies/service providers.
• Works closely with CEM product owners on ensuring that new/existing pilots and programs represent a clear fit with current regulatory/earnings pathways.
• Partners and coordinates closely with CEM New York leadership (jurisdictional managers, product owners, CEM Director) to ensure alignment between short-term needs, long term strategic mandates, and in-flight innovation pipeline, inclusive of technologies, go to market approaches, product/financing bundles, etc.
• Supports CEM Growth manager as necessary in working with internal and external partners and stakeholders to communicate prioritized areas of need, evaluate inbound technology offers/requests for fit with product lifecycle needs and requirements.
• Provides status updates, metrics and reporting necessary to support CEM Growth Manager in evaluating the health of overall product innovation portfolio
• A Bachelor's degree in a business, social science, or engineering related area and up to 5 years of related experience, or equivalent work experience. Advanced degree/credits are preferred.
• Knowledge of the electric and gas industry; energy efficiency program planning, design, implementation and evaluation, local and national energy policy.
• Knowledge of the regulatory process.
• 2+ years of energy related development and/or regulatory work.
• Knowledge of product management/product lifecycle management best practices and industry standard approaches
• Working knowledge of and extensive experience with industry standard project management tools and methodologies
• Experience with identifying external partnership opportunities and developing and executing on mutually beneficial partnership arrangements with external market participants, including technology providers and consultancies
• Knowledge of relevant industry practice and legislation.
• Knowledge of National Grid's business operations, company policies and practices. Knowledge of division policies, processes and fields of work.
• Strong oral and written communications skills.
• PMP, AIPMM, CEM or CSM certification a plus.
This position has a career path which provides for advancement opportunities within and across bands as you develop and evolve in the position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills. Internal candidates will be assessed and provided offers against the minimum qualifications of this role and their individual experience.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.