FirstEnergy Corp. IT Intern (Applications/Infrastructure)- Senior - Summer 2022 in Akron, Ohio
IT Intern (Applications/Infrastructure)- Senior - Summer 2022
Akron, OH, US, 44320
Job Function: Information Technology
Employee Type: Student Full Time
Requisition ID: 42545
FirstEnergy at a Glance
We are a forward-thinking electric utility powered by a diverse team of employees committed to making customers’ lives brighter, the environment better and our communities stronger.
FirstEnergy (NYSE: FE) is dedicated to integrity, safety, reliability and operational excellence. Headquartered in Akron, Ohio, FirstEnergy includes one of the nation's largest investor-owned electric systems, more than 24,000 miles of transmission lines that connect the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic regions, and a regulated generating fleet with a total capacity of more than 3,500 megawatts.
About the Opportunity
This is an open position with FirstEnergy Service Co., a subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp. [SC00]
As a participant in the Co-op/Intern Professional Development Program, you will be cultivating professional skills and performing professional level work at FirstEnergy. Each participant will receive on-the-job training, and challenging assignments to refine skills and round out competencies. Summer Internships with FirstEnergy are full-time opportunities spanning 14 weeks. FirstEnergy offers paid internships to qualified students actively enrolled in an accredited university or college.
FirstEnergy Information Technology
The Information Technology organization at FirstEnergy creates and maintains software solutions, and operates FirstEnergy data centers, service desks and voice/data networks. Areas of focus for a Summer 2022 Internship within the Information Technology organization are:
Application Configuration Analyst Systems Administrator Network Transport Specialist
• Currently enrolled, full time, in a Bachelor’s degree program at an accredited university/college focusing on Management Information Systems, Computer Information Systems, Computer Science, Computer Engineering or other business/technology related disciplines.
• Class Standing – Senior (graduation date of December 2022 / May 2023)
• Maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5. (GPA MUST be listed on resume)
• Must be able to work without sponsorship (now and in the future)
• Highly motivated to work independently, utilizing virtual technologies, and learn quickly
• Must be organized and work well with constant priority changes
• Willingness to undertake assignments involving unfamiliar subjects
• Demonstrate strong communication skills, both verbal and written, to effectively participate on a team and in remote meetings and conference calls
• Experience with any kind of coding or scripting language (e.g. Perl, Python, Java, C, PowerShell, SQL etc.)
• Basic knowledge of database concepts, including basic SQL statements and database design fundamentals. Any classroom, personal project, or work experience administering any mainstream database technology such as MySQL, PostgreSQL, MS SQL Server, or Oracle is highly encouraged.
• Familiarity with the following technologies:
• Basic network concepts (network switching, routing, management and monitoring)
• X86 PC or server hardware maintenance
• High Level UNIX/Linux operating system and system administration fundamentals
• Windows Server and Windows PC operating systems
The Application Configuration Analyst:
The analyst in this critical role will be responsible for supporting and configuring business applications. They will understand how they interface with other FirstEnergy applications and how to secure the application. In addition, they provide operational support to keep the system up and running. An Application Configuration Analyst has a passion for technology and enjoys the challenge of digging in to determine how systems work and troubleshoot any issues. The Application Configuration Analyst also learns the complex business processes of the systems they support.
Examples of possible job duties and responsibilities of an Application Configuration Analyst:
• Supporting the application architecture
• Understand system interface design & data flows to support complex inbound and outbound interfaces (both internal & external)
• Perform software installation and patching, as needed, based on application roadmaps and issue resolution
• Supporting and improving business processes
• Analyze requirements, documentation, use cases and workflow
• Assist in defect resolution during testing of applications
• Provide insight into application data
• Understand the structure and design of the application’s database
• Provide data analysis and reports based on the needs of the business users
The System Administrator:
As an IT System Administrator Intern at FirstEnergy, you will have hands on experience supporting the servers and databases throughout the FirstEnergy enterprise. An IT System Administrator Intern must be self-motivated and have a desire to learn new and proprietary systems and dig deep into unfamiliar territory.
Examples of possible job duties and responsibilities of a System Administrator:
• Assist in incident management including problem resolution and tracking problems
• Utilize monitoring tools to proactively identify problems with systems, applications, and networks.
• Create, update, and execute change requests, as directed
• Develop backup/restore procedures
• Design and implement disaster recovery procedures
Examples of possible roles an intern could have as a System Administrator:
• Unix/Linux Server Administration: Supporting the installation, maintenance, upgrade, and administration of UNIX/Linux servers in the FirstEnergy enterprise.
• Microsoft Server & PC Administration: Supporting the installation, maintenance, upgrade, and administration of Microsoft Server and PC Administration in the FirstEnergy enterprise
• Database Administration: Responsible for the design, implementation, maintenance, and troubleshooting of complex database systems supporting business applications at FirstEnergy
Network Transport Specialist:
Network Interns in the Network Engineering & Operations department will work closely with FirstEnergy’s network teams and business units to deliver data networking, transport, and communications solutions for business and operational purposes that help achieve FE’s business goals.
Candidates will provide support for the architecture, engineering, design, implementation, operation, maintenance, regulatory compliance, and ongoing reliability of Local Area Network (LAN), Wide Area Network (WAN), Field Area Network (FAN), and other wired and wireless systems that comprise the FE communications architecture.
Examples of possible job duties and responsibilities of a Network Specialist:
• Participation on one of the network teams supporting the many technology platforms delivering voice, video, data, electrical network monitoring & control, and computing services to FE employees, contractors, and business partners
• Ensuring high level of reliability and availability of these systems
• Working across FirstEnergy to ensure that communications solutions meet business needs and objectives.
• Confirming that all procedures are followed properly (e.g. change management, testing, documentation, etc.)
Please include your Major/Minor/Degree, GPA and anticipated graduation date on your resume. Resumes that do not include Major/Minor/Degree, GPA and anticipated graduation date will not be considered.
We encourage you to include on your resume courses completed relevant to the position you're applying. Additionally, tell us about school projects where you may have utilized the skills needed for the position. Technology enthusiasts: be sure to describe your tech hobbies and use of technology outside of the classroom on your resume.
Benefits, Compensation & Workforce Diversity
At FirstEnergy, employees are key to our success. We depend on their talents to meet the challenges of our changing business environment. We are committed to rewarding individual and team efforts through our total rewards philosophy which includes competitive pay plus incentive compensation, a company-sponsored pension plan, 401(k) savings plan with matching employer contribution, a choice of medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, and life insurance programs, as well as skills development training with tuition reimbursement. Please visit our website at www.firstenergycorp.com to learn more about all of our employee rewards programs. FirstEnergy proudly supports workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. No recruiters or agencies without a previously signed contract. Unable to sponsor or transfer H-1B visas at this time.
Safety is a core value for FirstEnergy and is essential to all of our business activities. We ensure employees have the tools, information, and processes to perform their duties in a manner that assures safety for themselves, their co-workers, our customers and the public. Our goals are to provide a safe work environment, to maintain an accident-free, injury-free workplace, and to promote and maintain public safety. To meet these goals, we dedicate ourselves to achieving world-class safety standards.
FirstEnergy Human Resources Team
Nearest Major Market: Akron
Nearest Secondary Market: Cleveland
Job Segment: Intern, Electrical, Engineer, Database, Oracle, Entry Level, Engineering, Technology