City of Tacoma WA Buyer in Tacoma, Washington
The City of Tacoma's Finance Department is recruiting for the position of Buyer. Buyers perform routine purchasing functions for the City of Tacoma. Responsibilities include the timely and cost effective procurement and contracting of materials, supplies, equipment and services for the City of Tacoma within the requirements of applicable state law, City of Tacoma ordinances and department guidelines.
Benefits The City of Tacoma has a very generous benefit package including:
- Great retirement plan
- Paid holidays
- Personal time off
- Outstanding working conditions and a supportive work environment
- Medical, dental and life insurance coverage for eligible employees
- Deferred compensation allowing tax-deferred savings as authorized under Section 457 of the IRS Code For more information on the City of Tacoma's benefit package feel free to explore City of Tacoma Benefits.
City of Tacoma Recruitment Information: One of the primary goals of the City of Tacoma Equity and Empowerment Initiative is that the City of Tacoma workforce reflects the community it serves. We actively work to eliminate racial and other disparities and we welcome candidates with diverse and/or multicultural skill sets and personal experiences. Our goal is for Tacoma to be an inclusive and equitable place to live, work and play. Qualifications
An equivalent combination to: an Associate's degree with an emphasis in business, finance, accounting or related field and****one year of relevant purchasing experience.
LICENSES, CERTIFICATES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS Valid Washington State driver's license at the time of appointment with maintenance thereafter.
Knowledge & Skills
- Applicable local, state and federal laws regarding public procurement
- Procurement best practices, negotiations and techniques as related to municipal purchasing
- Cost and price analysis
- Vendor sourcing, market conditions and price trends
- Customer focused interpersonal communication
- Solid written and verbal communications skills
- Accounting concepts
- Electronic record-keeping and storage
- Purchasing software programs and enterprise resource planning (ERP)
- Numerical data and product specification evaluation
- College-level math
- Conflict resolution
- Effectively plan and organize work
- Effective oral and written communications
- Intermediate-level skills using Microsoft Windows programs including Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others Selection Process & Supplemental Information
SELECTION PROCESS & SUPPLEMENTAL INFORMATION: Interested individuals should apply online and attach a resume and cover letterthat includes major responsibilities and accomplishments related to this position. Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications will have their supplemental questions scored. If applicable, scan and attach your DD-214 proof of military discharge form.
Appointment is subject to passing a background check. This position is covered by a Labor Agreement between the City of Tacoma and Local 120. An employee in this position will be required to join the union within 30 days of hire. New employees must successfully complete a nine-month probationary period prior to obtaining permanent status in this classification.
Communication from the City of Tacoma: We primarily communicate via email during the application process. Emails from cityoftacoma.org and/or governmentjobs.com must be placed on your safe domain list to ensure that you receive notifications in a timely manner. As a precaution, you may also want to check your junk email folders.
The online application system requires you to enter a substantial amount of information. Be prepared to spend at least an hour entering information. In order for your application materials to be considered, all information must be submitted by the closing date and time listed on this job announcement.
For assistance with the NEOGOV application process, questions regarding this job announcement, or if you are experiencing complications while applying, please contact the Human Resources office at (253) 591.5400 by 4:00 pm of the closing date of the job announcement. This will allow us to assist you before the job announcement closes.
Salary: $55,910.40 - $67,953.59 Annually
Location: Tacoma, WA
Job Type: Classified
Job Number: 0304-17
Closing: 10/30/2017 5:00 PM Pacific
Agency: City of Tacoma
Address: Human Resources Department 747 Market Street Tacoma, Washington, 98402-3764.