San Diego Gas & Electric Principal Business Analyst in San Diego, California
Job Description: The Strategic Planning & Business Optimization function supports SDG&E;'s senior management in developing the company's strategy, as well as its dissemination and implementation. The Strategic Planning & Business Optimization function also supports the strategic focus on process improvement and optimization. The Principal Business Analyst will be responsible for:
- Understanding the economics, technology, and policy trends around alternative power delivery methods (e.g. decentralized solar, micro-grids, batteries, fuel cells) and other relevant trends (e.g. electric vehicles, smart grid). Monitor consumer behavior and adoption of these technologies / business models.
- Understanding the company's business by segment (generation, transmission, distribution, natural gas), and the opportunities and components of financial value.
- Monitoring the external competitive landscape (US utility space, alternative delivery methods, and other business models) and communicating key insights.
- Modeling the potential financial impacts of the company's strategic threats and opportunities identified in the analysis and monitoring relevant external drivers.
- Support the development of business plans and financial modeling around new businesses or products.
- Preparing presentations, assessments and reports to senior management on strategic, technology, regulatory and market trends and issues.
- Support process improvement and efficiency initiatives across the company through the utilization and implementation of optimization tools and methods.
- Conducting other ad-hoc analyses.
The ideal candidate will have a strong understanding of the utility and energy sectors, regulatory and rate mechanisms, policy issues, and market and technology trends. The ideal candidate will also need robust knowledge and experience with financial and economic models, quantitative analysis and market research.
- Bachelor’s degree in economics, business, finance, statistics, computer programing, or a related field.
- A graduate degree in a related field (MBA, MA finance) is preferred or the equivalent in relevant work experience.
- Minimum of eight years of work experience in a related field is required.
- Basic understanding of the utility business and its regulation, as well as electric and natural gas industry elements/ and concepts.
- Understanding of the technologies and business models of alternative delivery methods is a great plus.
- Hands on experience with financing planning, financial/economic modeling, investment appraisals, and business model development
- Must have the ability to interface and work with multiple stakeholders, including senior management.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills.