NextEra Energy Sr PGD Controls Engineer in Juno Beach, Florida
Sr PGD Controls Engineer
Date:Oct 12, 2017
Primary Location:Juno Beach, FL, US, 33408
Company:NextEra Energy Requisition ID: 15446
Our reliability is one of the best in the nation, and we’re working to make it even better. We live here too. That’s why we’re committed to making Florida a better place. Join our team today
Position Specific Description NextEra Energy is seeking an experienced individual to be part of the Engineering & Technical Services team that provides technical support in the area of instrumentation and controls for the Fossil and Thermal-Solar Generating Fleet. Responsibilities include system/asset program management; the development of department standards and best practices; troubleshooting and improving plant control systems; and managing system replacement, upgrade, and integration projects.
This position will require subject matter expertise in Power Generation Control Systems. Core functions will include:
- Managing asset programs for Instrument and Control equipment and systems with focus on cost management, reliability, compliance, and delivering expert support
- Defining and managing project budgets, schedules, and execution, including support of technical design reviews, factory acceptance testing, and quality assurance through all phases of the project
- Developing and applying engineering standards in process control theory, maintenance programs, and project construction
- Providing troubleshooting and support to the Power Generation Division (PGD) in the area of Instrumentation and Controls for combined cycle, conventional, and thermal-solar power generation facilities
- Collaborating with multi-discipline teams for problem solving, betterment opportunities, and systems integration
- Supporting the deployment and maintenance of cyber security solutions to meet corporate standards or NERC CIP standards
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 5 years of experience in Power Generation or related industrial automation and control field
- Experience with a major Distributed Control System (DCS). Preferred platforms include: Emerson Ovation, GE MK V & VI, Siemens T3000, Toshiba TOSMAP-DS, and/or Mitsubishi DIASYS
- Demonstrated successful application of process control knowledge
- Understanding of network architecture and topologies, including ability to troubleshoot Network Switches and Routers on Plant Control and Process Data Networks
- Due to the 24 hour, 7 day per week nature of power generation, night, weekend, and holiday support via telephone or call-out,maybe required
- Travel to sites and vendor facilities throughout the United States averages about 30%
- 3+ years of experience with project management and control system engineering.
- Professional Engineer (PE) Certification.
- PMI Project Management Certification.
- Six Sigma Certification; Green Belt or higher.
- Experience with Allen Bradley and Siemens family of PLC’s, Bently Nevada and Siemens Vibrometer vibration systems, and fire protection systems
- Experience with third party datalink communication protocols, including Modbus, DNP, OPC, etc.
- Knowledge and skill in control loop logic development and testing (sensors through final control elements) for classical and advanced algorithms.
- Hands-on functional checkout and start-up experience of new or retrofit power generation equipment and experience in process controls tuning desired
- Working knowledge and understanding of NERC CIP regulatory standards and processes
- Experience with Siemens, GE, and/or Mitsubishi combustion turbine commissioning, operation, and control logic development
Our Success Begins With Our People. NextEra Energy is a team of over 14,000 employees, located in 26 states, Canada and Spain, providingsafe, reliable and affordable electricity to our customers. Come join a diverse Instrument and Controls Engineering Team, committed to safety, continuous improvement, and collaboration.
Job Overview Employees in this role have responsibility for interpreting, organizing, executing, and coordinating assignments. This involves exploration of subject area, definition of scope, selection of areas for investigation, and development of novel concepts.
Job Duties & Responsibilities • Plans and develops engineering projects concerned with unique or controversial complexities which have important impact on major company programs • Acts as technical liaison to individuals within and outside the organization with responsibility to act independently regarding technical matters pertaining to individual's field • Completes assignments given in broad terms concerning general objectives and limitations • Performs other job-related duties as assigned Required Qualifications • Bachelor's - Engineering • Experience:5+ years
Preferred Qualifications • Supervisor/Management Experience:0+ years
Employee Group: Exempt Employee Type: Full Time Job Category: Engineering Organization: Florida Power & Light Company (0001) Location: Juno Beach, Florida Other Work Locations: Florida Relocation Provided: Yes, if applicable
NextEra Energy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, age, national origin, religion, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetics, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law. We are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace.
If you require special support or accommodation while seeking employment with NextEra Energy, please send an e-mail to, providing your name, telephone number and the best time for us to reach you. Alternatively, you may call 1-844-694-4748 (Option 1, Press 6) between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. EST Monday-Friday. Please do not use this line to inquire about your application status.
NextEra Energy will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.
#LI-KR1 Nearest Major Market:Palm Beach Nearest Secondary Market:Miami