Greystone Power Meter - Apparatus Tech I in Douglasville, Georgia
Meter - Apparatus Tech I
Job Code: 2017-400-022
Division: Ops & Engineering
FT/PT Status: Regular Full Time
Position Based In: Douglasville
Apply Before: 10/26/2017
Meter-Apparatus Technician I position shall perform as a beginning Apparatus crew member assisting senior Apparatus Techs in all aspects of the Meter/Apparatus work group responsibilities. Learn all equipment and procedures of Meter/Apparatus and work with other Technicians to gain experience and knowledge.
- Program, test, clean, install, exchange, disconnect, and repair single-phase self-contained meters.
- Conduct testing, maintenance and repair on 1Ø and 3Ø transformers, 1Ø and 3Ø reclosers and breakers, along with other electrical distribution equipment.
- Program 1Ø electronic reclosers using PC and equipment specific software.
- Monthly inspection and download of MV-90 account meters.
- Monthly inspection of transmission and distribution equipment in substations.
- Assist with troubleshooting, repair of substation and SCADA problems, and assist service crews with emergencies.
- Investigate and resolve member complaints of power quality, radio interference, stray voltage, and repeated lightning damage.
- Perform ITS certified transmission/distribution switching when required.
- Resolve AMI metering technical problems and provide support on AMI systems to other departments as needed.
- Assist with testing, troubleshooting and maintenance of cooperative owned fiber optic systems.
- After initial 6 months of on employment, serve on-call for after-hours meter connects, equipment problems, circuit outages, load management switch problems, and oil spill emergencies.
- Troubleshoot and resolve voltage related complaints on commercial and residential accounts.
- Clean up oil spills from distribution equipment.
- Clean, restock, and maintain Apparatus shop and Meter shop.
- Maintain and use proper Personal Protective Equipment in all aspects of the job.
- Hone metering and apparatus knowledge and troubleshooting skills.
- Assist other Technicians, Planning & Field Engineers, Field Services and all other personnel as requested with any aspects of their jobs.
Required Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- High school graduate or equivalent.
- Technical Certification or degree, from an accredited vocational or technical school in Electrical Engineering Technology, Electronics, Communications, Basic Electrical Wiring, or a related field of study, OR five years progressive experience with an electric utility or utility contractor, in Metering, Apparatus, Controls, or Line work.
- ITS certified operator with switching authority. (Must be obtained within one year of hire)
- Ability to understand technical manuals and wiring diagrams associated with revenue meters, metering circuits, electronic controls, relays, and distribution equipment.
- Forklift operator certification.
- Ability to use common hand tools, multi-meter, and personal computer.
- Requires a valid Georgia driver’s license.
- Willingness to work with Apparatus Tech II & III to gain knowledge and experience.
- Must enroll and complete GreyStone’s Apparatus Training Curriculum in order to progress to Apparatus Tech II & III.
- Must satisfactorily pass GreyStone's pre-employment physical examination and required drug screens
Physical Demands (if applicable):
- Must work outside most of the time, sometimes in bad weather.
- Requires walking, lifting (up to 50 pounds), stooping, standing on concrete floors, and climbing and working off ladders (as high as 30 feet).
- Wearing rubber gloves for extended periods of time.
- Manual dexterity to work with small parts.
- Ability to use common hand tools, multi-meter, and a personal computer.
- Exposed to very high voltage when performing acceptance tests on equipment and when working in substations.
- Required to work with oil-filled equipment and spray painting.
- Required to work occasionally with hazardous chemicals involved with oil filled equipment.
- May be required to work overtime or hours other than 7:00am to 6:00pm to meet work schedules.
- Subject to be called out on after hour equipment problems and emergency system restoration.
Our employees enjoy an array of benefits, including the following:
Health, Dental, and Vision Plan
GreyStone Pension/Retirement Plan and 401(k) Plan
Short and Long Term Disability
Attractive Leave Plan with paid holidays, personal and catastrophic sick leave
Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance
Health Savings Account & Flexible Spending Account options
Employee Assistance Program